Personal Firewall

Started by
8 comments, last by Obscure 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi, I'm in search for a good personal firewall. The firewall have to be free as I don't have any money. I would like a firewall with these features: IP blocking :p (it have to filter IP traffic) Invisible mode Able to block applications that acces the internet It have to run under windows... Any suggestions?
Advertisement
Sygate

I dont if it has everything u need but its great, I've been running it for a couple years now no major problems.
-----------------------------When men speak of the future, the Gods laugh.An apology for the devil: it must be remembered that we have heard one side of the case. God has written all the books.Samuel Butler (1835 - 1902)
Zone Alarm is free for personal use. Has all the features you ask for. So far I'm happy with it ;)
Kerio Personal Firewall is very good.

Niko Suni

I go with the ZoneAlarm choice, it's what I use and is really easy to use.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
Quote:Original post by clrscr
Sygate

I dont if it has everything u need but its great, I've been running it for a couple years now no major problems.

Hmm, i've had a couple of problems with it. Like sometimes for long periods it decides that it isnt going to boot into the system tray any more. Also when i installed it onto my sisters pc in place of McAfee, whenever i logged onto the interweb i got this DrWatson process hogging all the CPU.

Any ideas about these...

ace
I've been using ZoneAlarm Pro for several years. If the free version is even a shadow of it, I'd have to recommend it.

Quote:Also when i installed it onto my sisters pc in place of McAfee, whenever i logged onto the interweb i got this DrWatson process hogging all the CPU.

Dr Watson is an error reporting/analysis portion of Windows. Your error handler crashed. I've seen it a few times before.
Quote:Original post by ace_lovegrove
...i got this DrWatson process hogging all the CPU.
You can easily stop that (on XP) by disabling error reporting. Something has crashed, and it's busy writing a memory dump/log file about the error.
To disable that, press WinKey+Break, go into the "Advanced" tab, click "Error Reporting" and disable it.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Quote:press WinKey+Break

Ooh, I'll have to remember that one.
Another vote for Zonealarm. Does what it says on the tin.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement