Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Do I need MFC IN Game Progrming

Started by The Crash Aug 25, 2005 at 12:03 PM 14 replies 2.4k views
Original Post
The Crash
The Crash
Good Day.I am learning C++ from a short period But I didn't Work in MFC until This moment . My question is :Do I need MFC IN Game Progrming? I mean Use The Direct x and Other mechanisms In C++ For Game Programing. And Thank You. Eias
Programer and Desinger
load_bitmap_file
load_bitmap_file
You probably won't be using MFC in your game itself, but it's useful for making game editing tools, a map editor for example.
Leo_E_49
Leo_E_49
Yes, MFC does come in very handy for making tools. I can't imagine a better way to make Window-based map editors, for example.
kosmon_x
kosmon_x
Quote:
Original post by skittleo
Quote:
Original post by Leo_E_49
I can't imagine a better way to make Window-based map editors, for example.


I hear C# with WinForms is a better alternative.


C# is undoubtedly better, and VisualBasic.NET is probably better than that. Better in terms of speed of development, of course.
SKATIN_HARD
SKATIN_HARD
Once you have your basic window up and in fullscreen, you won't need any of the mfc. You can then use directx to program your game and draw graphics on the screen.
The Crash
The Crash
Thank You ( load_bitmap_file - Leo_E_49 - skittleo - kosmon_x - SKATIN_HARD )
What I understand from your words is I don't need MFC in just game programming but I

need it the additions Like The start Page and map editor .I didn't work in c# Before but I

think we can benefit from Visual Basic 6(Because of its elasticity more than C++ ).
But this discussion is comfortable for me.
And Thank You for all
Eias
Programer and Desinger
Jannes
Jannes
If you choose OpenGL you could also use other GUI-Libs like WxWidgets: www.wxwidgets.org
Borys Pomianek
Borys Pomianek
Yeah most of games are playd in full screen.

There is basically no good point in using MFC then.
DirectX will do good.

Also forget about using vb in engine development.

I would olso not recommend using vb for anything unless you olready know the language.

There is no point in lerning vb today.

vb.net might doo the trick but not for creating games imho.

If your lerning c++ stay with that as this will be ok.

BP
DvDmanDT
DvDmanDT
I'm not sure about it, but I think some games just use a maximized window, with no border or titleline, then make HUD and in-game menus and stuff in MFC or something, and just create the graphics interface inside a picturebox or something like that.. In particular, I'm thinking about The Settlers 5.. The game probably works great, as long as you only have/use one screen.. I have two monitors though, and when I move my mouse to the left border of the game-screen, it doesn't scroll, but instead the mouse moves to the other screen.. :p Could be due to other things though.. :p
The Crash
The Crash
Thank you
Jannes : I work Until this moment in Direct x.

Borys Pomianek(BP^.^): This good because I am Tired of This MFC....but your talk about

VB6 crash me Because I learning vb6 Form 3 years And I had thought it's very good ..And

This Language is the most famed Language in our Countris but I don't expect That The

vb6 retired in Euorb and America To This place .But I will see this .net Witch is invading

the world.

DvDmanDT : HUD ??? I don't understand This term .But I think you prefer MFC But your

plan is suitable for a professional Like you and the gentlemen here (^.^) more than

Beginner Like Me And I want to escape from MFC.
Thank for all .
Eias

Programer and Desinger
dbzprogrammer
dbzprogrammer
Sure use MFC for editors, but keep it out of your games if at all possible, for it can slow the system down.
We should do this the Microsoft way: "WAHOOOO!!! IT COMPILES! SHIP IT!"
noVum
noVum
Quote:
Original post by Leo_E_49
Yes, MFC does come in very handy for making tools. I can't imagine a better way to make Window-based map editors, for example.
MFC comes directly out of hell. If you ever used it for larger projects you know what I mean.

Qt or wxWidgets are much cleaner and powerful.
Xai
Xai
I am a diehard C++ programmer, but MFC was so damn broken, I couldn't stand to code Microsoft tools in it (having used OWL and then VCL a little bit).

Then came .NET ... oh how the gods have smiled on the lowly tools programmer. I still think .NET is a flawed virtual machine library with its lack of const correctness and a few other minor glitches that make it largely unsuitable for games ... but it is so much better than any previous extremely popular tool library ... I learned C# and basic Windows Forms programming enough in 2 months to be better at it than MFC ... cause it is designed that much better.

It still shows its edges as a thin wrapper around the Win32 API sometimes ... and othertimes as a slightly bloated Javaesque formality ... but it makes me much happier than anything else for building simple GUI tools.
Xai
Xai
GUI - graphic user interface .. but what I really meant was just "standard user inteface programs ... things that look like notepad or a spreadsheet, not like a game"

OWL - Borland's Object Windows Library ... and old library the used to compete with Microsoft's MFC, most people consider it technically superior, but it never outsold MFC (much like PHP being better than ASP, or C++ over Visual Basic)

VCL - Borland's Visual Component Library ... When Borland created Delphi to compete with Visual Basic they created the VCL ... a very advanced library for building applications at the time. They even used the VCL as the basis for the Borland C++ Builder line of products (that never won too big a market share, for various reasons, both earned and not). In fact, the primary visionary of the VCL was hired away by Microsoft to become th primary visionary behind the .NET component library.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.