Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Sector 13 needs web developer, 2D and 3D art and programmers

Started by DrewCaliburClark Sep 20, 2005 at 8:02 AM 35 replies 9.3k views
Original Post
DrewCaliburClark
DrewCaliburClark
Reactor Interactive needs web developer, 2D and 3D art and programmers for our space combat game, Sector 13. Team name: Reactor Interactive LLC Project name: Sector 13 Brief description: Sector 13 is a multiplayer 3D space shooter. More information can be found at our website We have been listed as a gamedev “team that can”, we have been on the show floor of GDC with gamedev last spring, we have finaled and won multiple indy contests including the ATI summer shootout and the BigC, we are entered in the IGF, blah, blah, blah, - you can read all our accomplishments and interviews on our website. Target aim: Retail – release date is on track for this Spring. Compensation: Our goal has always been to become a self-sustaining company in the next 1 to 2 years, and wish to reward all team members either will full time positions or continuing contracts for development. Full credit in-game and on our traffic-heavy website. Technology: We are using Ogre3D for our graphics engine, and have a commercial licenses of ReplicaNet for our Networking API and Subversion for CVS and Groove.net for our online collaboration tools. Talent needed: We need another general programmerand possibly another AI programmer, to handle weapon definition, scripting using GameMonkey Script, some custom tools and middleware creation for skybox building and creating of "hard point" weapons, etc... Experience with the Ogre3D engine and GameMonkeyScript would be helpful, but we all had to learn it as part of the project, so what matters most to us is dedication and willingness to learn and contribute. We have a detailed design document which includes our models for Squad AI, turret AI and team-based AI for bots, etc if you are interested in learing and growing as an AI programmer on the team. If you'd like to be part of a small, talented and ambitious programming team, please contact me. My team uses Groove networks online collaboration tools for chat, meetings, shared directories, discussion and workspace sharing. Whoever fills this role will need to have a broadband connection and be able to download our 2+ Gig workspace and our 2+ Gig code repository via SVN. I will provide all software needed and the groove license. We need 2D and 3D artists, capable of following rough concept sketches on through a skinned, in-game model rigged with a skeleton (the skeleton is not for animation, but for demarking turret points, engine glow point, lighting, etc – it’s all data-driven based on joint names). We are especially in need of a dedicated texture artist. The project is for capital starship creation and arena scenery and textures are needed for all. I will explain more later in this post. We also need a web designer!to help me overhaul our current website. I want to create a separate page for each faction to showcase the writing, art and music created for each, and provide better credit for the content contributors. We have a lot of art and writing material that could be better used on our site, and I would love to have the help of a dedicated web designer for this. Team structure: We currently have 7 programmers who have been on the project and contributing heavily collaborating via groove.net online workspace. We also have 2 artists, other than myself and we collaborate via our website’s private forums. Website: Sector 13’s website Contacts: You can email me from the site, or post in this thread. I would prefer you email me directly or post in this thread. Additional Info: We are on an internal release schedule with new builds being tested by devteam members roughly twice a month. We are on track for a late Spring/ early Summer retail release of the game. For Art, I’m looking for 3D modelers, who can take rough concept art provided by me, and create the in-game capital ship models that will make the arenas intense battlefields. There are 4 factions in the game, and I have given one faction to each artist. The artists are responsible for shaping their faction’s capital ships into instantly recognizable vessels based on the established style and culture of the faction. If you look at the fighters on the site (I do all fighters) you will see a distint, culture-reflecting style that needs to be maintained through the capital ships. All capital ships have multiple turrets, AA guns, shield generators, etc that are targetable and destructible by the fighters. These will also need to be modeled, and will be placed on the ships programmatically based on a rigged skeleton. I can provide any and all software and tutorials needed (we have partnerships with Caligari, Nvidia, ATI, milkshape, Dogwaffle – you can read them all on our website) to export models rigged into Ogre. I also need a dedicated 2D texture specialist who can work with the art team to get all models skinned, and to provide web graphics if needed. I provide all concept sketches needed, and all models are posted as Works In Progress in a private art forum and critiqued by the art team. We all help each other be the best we can be, and I promise you will learn a lot and be a better artist for having worked on this project. Please post or email me any questions on any of this, and please check out our website for samples of art, screenshots, music, etc. Feedback: I accept all feedback. I hope you’ll check us out! [Edited by - DrewCaliburClark on October 28, 2005 8:17:57 PM]
dflash
dflash
I am interested in possibly contributing some music. I emailed you as well.

Thanks.
Dave Fedorenkowww.flashcracker.com
Oluseyi
Oluseyi
As is my constant habit, I'm just popping in here to endorse Reactor Interactive. I love what this team has done, and I was looking over their site just last week and really impressed with the progress they've made - and the accolades they've racked up - since I interviewed them in March 2005. This is a real team making real progress, and one of the best indie opportunities to have sprung out of the GameDev.Net community.

If you're interested in working with real pros, give Reactor Interactive a shot. (Plus, you'll be happy to know that I'm buying a flightstick just to play Sector 13!)
Rain 7
Rain 7
Ummm Wow. Where the hell have I been?? I don't know how I missed this amazing looking project!
I will be keeping my eyes and EARS on you guys.

Good stuff. :)

Antisheep
Antisheep
I'll be sending you an e-mail.
________________________Quote: OluseyiI knew of a "Christian" couple in Nigeria who named their child "God's End-time Battle Axe." I kid you not.
etherd
etherd
check out this site. looks like a very exciting project!
Are you kiddin' me??http://www.etherdust.in
jbadams
jbadams
Free bump - this is a very promising project, check it out if you have the skills required!
- Jason Astle-Adams
DrewCaliburClark
DrewCaliburClark
Thank you to all the great musician responses we've recieved, your help is much appreciated.

I edited the post to show a new development as of this week. With the amount of content we are adding, and the pace we are moving at, we are going to need an additional graphics programmer. Any graphics guys out there, I'd love to hear from you.

Also, we are still looking for good art help. Thanks,
icarus_art
icarus_art
Im looking forward to start making some music ;)
There are people who silence make them crazy, cause they can´t battle with the sound inside them
Rain 7
Rain 7
I would love to contribute a track or two if at all possible. :)
Sledge Hammer Productions
Sledge Hammer Productions
All help is definately appreciated. As Drew said, we have some great openings for those of you who want to make this project your own. This is definately going to be something that we can be proud of when completed.

Not so long ago, Drew and I met on Game Dev and in a short span of time, discussed a merger between Existences team and his own. Today, we are glad to say that we are on board and working very hard on various tasks laid before us. This was a serious team before and it is even more so with the added Existence team newly added.

I hope that this post can grab us some more help in 3d art. Right now we are broken into divisions. I am working on tasks (ships) related to one faction so that the style remains consistant. Jim is focused on a similar task (faction). There are more factions to cover and we could use some help to fill these roles.

I do feel that I should mention that we are not seeking someone to build one model. We need more dedication than that. As always, have a great one. We look forward to hearing from you.

[Edited by - Sledge Hammer Productions on September 25, 2005 8:23:28 PM]
3d Artist / Writer/ Concept DesignerSector 13 http://WWW.Reactorinteractive.net[email=TGann@ReactorInteractive.net]TGann@ReactorInteractive.net[/email] Phone- 1.352.621.9831
jbadams
jbadams
Once again a free bump for these guys. They're making great progress and are well on track to completing an excellent game; it'd be a great chance for any modellers out there to get credited for a high-quality product, and maybe even make some earnings in the long term if you stick with this very dedicated team.

A couple more of thier screenshots, which can be viewed in thier screenshots gallery here (click for larger):


Go check out the website [www.reactorinteractive.net] and help them out if you have the required skills.
- Jason Astle-Adams
bjz
bjz
Yeah, this does look sweet. I wanted to try it a long time ago but my video card only has ps 1.4 support. If I recall it requires ps 2.0, and just exits when I open it.

Anyways another free bump. :P
DrewCaliburClark
DrewCaliburClark
Hi everyone,
The response from musicians has been overwhelming, and much appreciated.

However, we still very much need artists, and especially a graphics programmer. If you're passionate about shaders (and I mean, really, who isn't?) and want to be on a team who's goal is nothing less than a retail game release, we'd love to hear from you.

I'll post some art WIPs soon so the art community can see how we are approaching this task. C'mon 3D guys out there - we need you!
Arglebargle
Arglebargle
Wow, this looks like a promising project.

I'm a composer, but it seems like you'll have more than enough musicians, and truth be told, I don't think I have the time to take on another project. :P

But I'll defnititely be keeping an eye on this project, as it looks very cool.
bjz
bjz
Shader programming is something I have been wanting to get into but havent quite mustered the time for it yet. I only recently got this crappy radeon 9200 for the purpose of learning shader programming. Sorry I cant be of any assistance other than saying the game is looking great. :D
griffenmaster
griffenmaster
As a member of Existence who isn't working with Sector 13, I am still here to support their project. If you are of legal age and can contribute, please consider applying for a position. Thier team is far beyond the possibility of failure, and the members are dedicated, hard-working, and overall good people. Trust me, if you are looking for a career where you can get actual experience and publication while working with friendly co-workers, here is one chance you should not pass up.
DrewCaliburClark
DrewCaliburClark
Our website is down :( :(

We've exceeded our bandwidth for the month, but the month is over tomorrow, so please bear with us. Our current webhost sucks, and we are switching hosts after we have our LivePitch application confirmed. In the mean time, I apologize for the links and pics not working...
DrewCaliburClark
DrewCaliburClark
We're back!

this is not a shameless bump.

But if you're a programmer looking for a great team, I hope you'll contact me.
mirex
mirex
Looking great !
How long are you developing this graphically beautifull piece ?

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.