Dev-C++ vs Codeblocks vs MS Visual Studio 2005

Started by
16 comments, last by Yann L 18 years, 4 months ago
What should I start out learning to use? While most beginner books recommend Dev-C++ I have a feeling that most professionals use MS Visual Studio. On the other hand, many of the examples in beginner book such as Beginning C++ Game Programming will not compile in Visual Studio yet work fine in Dev-C++ and Codeblock. Secondly, if Dev-C++ is preferred, should I use Codeblocks instead? I've read that Dev-C++ not being developed anymore and that Codeblocks is much better.
Advertisement
ive had the same question for a while, i happen to own visual studio .net and as of now...dev c++ is beginning to be a pain because you have to setup all the linker settings and stuff...bisual studio is looking like a better option but ive never heard of code blocks, i might have to download it
The best advice I can give is to try out each of them for a while, and see which catches your fancy the most. Dev-C++ is great because of its DevPak system, Code::Blocks feels overall very clean and organized, and of course VC++ has a sleek feel and all of those goodies that professional IDEs entail. ;) All IMHO, of course!

Give each a solid run -- perhaps write a program in each that uses key features that an IDE should tout -- and see which one makes the final cut and earns the coveted name of "your C++ IDE of choice". ;)
IMHO: VC++ 2005 > Code::Blocks > Dev-C++
I agree with the above.

Whenever i try any IDE i always tend to compare it with VS. My questions are always something like:

- Is it as fast as VS?
- Is it as complete as VS?
- Is it as clean as VS?
- Is it as easy to use as VS?

Etc, etc.

Maybe it's just me, but i feel like any (current) IDE in the world sees VS as a model and they just try to be as good as it is - never better or something completely new. Which is a shame.

But my answer would be the same as HopeDagger's. Try them and use the one you like the most. You'll be more productive using that one - and happier. ;)
- blew
Quote:Original post by Oberon_Command
IMHO: VC++ 2005 > Code::Blocks > Dev-C++

IMHO: VC++ 2005 > Code::Blocks > Steaming pile of dog poo > Dev-C++
Dev C++ used to be very popular with beginners, due to the fact that it is free. Sut since the VS 2005 Express editions are free (at least if downloaded during the first year), there is absolutely no reason anymore to use Dev C++. VC++ is far superior in pretty much every aspect. Here are some reasons why you should choose VS:

*) A lot more feature rich and flexible
*) The debugger plays in a totally different league than the crappy GDB integration in DevC++
*) You can continue to use MingW and related compiler tools with VS (although the VC8 compiler has largely surpassed GCC/MingW in code generation quality, so you should probably stick with Microsofts compiler)
*) VS gives you the option to try .net development, and comes with a very powerful form editor
*) You can try different languages (like C#) without changing the look'n'feel of the IDE
*) You're getting the tool the pros are using, so you can already get familiar with it from the beginning on
" VC++ 2005 > Code::Blocks > Steaming pile of dog poo > Dev-Cpp"

Unless you need to use GCC/Mingw or want a cross platform IDE.
In which case VC++ == poo and Code::Blocks > Dev-Cpp.

I still use Dev-Cpp for most of my work but that's because I'm so familiar with it. Otherwise it'd be CB all the way.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Unless you need to use GCC/Mingw or want a cross platform IDE.

Quote:Original post by Yann L
*) You can continue to use MingW and related compiler tools with VS (although the VC8 compiler has largely surpassed GCC/MingW in code generation quality, so you should probably stick with Microsofts compiler)

For emphasis.
for emphesis

or want a cross platform IDE.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement