The C++ programming language

Started by
11 comments, last by eedok 18 years, 4 months ago
I am a high school programmer with no income. Is there a major differance in content between versions 2 and 3 of Bjarne Stroustrup's The C++ Programming Language because theres a major difference in price. Thanks
"Are you threatening me, Master Jedi?" - Chancellor Palpatine
Advertisement
The 3rd special edition doesn't seem to cost that much (see here), so why not just pick up a used copy of the latest edition instead of a used copy of the older one?
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
there's 4 easy steps here
1. Get a library card
2. Take the book from the library and become an expert C++ programmer
3. use your newfound C++ skills to make $$$'s
4. use the $$$'s as either a donation to the founder of C++, and/or buy the book then.
Quote:Original post by eedok
1. Get a library card
4. use the $$$'s as either a donation to the founder of C++, and/or buy the book then.

Except that many libraries don't have good books on C++. I would suggest going straight to mcdonalds, working a few weeks, and then buying the book.
Quote:Original post by Sagar_Indurkhya
Except that many libraries don't have good books on C++. I would suggest going straight to mcdonalds, working a few weeks, and then buying the book.

Seconded... Libraries suck - hardly anything practical... the only sections I've found even remotely useful is the history section and the xbox they put in to attract the kids. If you can, check out any universities around you for old computer science text books which are usually sold for dirt cheap. I have a friend who bought "D&D C++: How to Program" for an absurd ammount which I inherited when he had completed his course.

Other than that.. you just missed christmas! Why didn't you ask for it then?
What we do in life... Echoes in eternity
I've got both versions. You should definitely try to get the 3rd edition. It covers ISO/ANSI C++ and the standard template library - both of which predate the 2nd edition. It's also a significant rewrite and is a better book for it.

dave j
Quote:Original post by Sagar_Indurkhya
Quote:Original post by eedok
1. Get a library card

If you know any programmers, surely one must have a good C++ book lying around that they can let you borrow for a couple of months or so till you can afford to get yourself a good one.
Don't use the book, just learn from online tutorials. That book is more about the philosophy of the design of C++ anyway, and it's not that great for learning.
Quote:Original post by Matei
Don't use the book, just learn from online tutorials. That book is more about the philosophy of the design of C++ anyway, and it's not that great for learning.

Agreed. Just read as much as you can online and you should be fine. That, and books about specific technologies tend to not be as good an investment as general books, especially if you already know the technology. If you really want to buy a book about programming, I recomment Code Complete.
Quote:Original post by Matei
I disagree, books are great to philosophy and design but they also usually go more in depth and explain concepts much better than in tutorials. If you're serious about programming, get the book.
I, personally, can't learn well from tutorials or at least I have more trouble retaining what I learn but that might also be because I don't like reading lots of text on a screen. Whatever floats your boat, i guess.

F-R-E-D F-R-E-D-B-U-R...G-E-R! - Yes!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement