Firefox difficulties

Started by
6 comments, last by dwarfsoft 18 years, 4 months ago
For some reason a while back Firefox stopped playing animated GIFs ... it just loads them on the first frame and never plays them. Has this happened to anyone before and/or does anyone know of a fix? I've already tried in safe mode, and uninstalling/reinstalling is a last resort. And lets steer clear of the "Install Opera" comments please. If I wanted Opera, I'd be using it. Same with any other web browser.
Advertisement
First step, disable all extensions and see if it works.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
I remember getting an extension that purposefully did that. ANI Disable, I think, or something like that. Might check your list of installed extensions, though it's unlikely that you installed it and then forgot about it, and then noticed and disliked the functionality at a later date.
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke
Yep it happens to me all the time. I am able to resolve it by closing all instances of firefox and loading the page/gif again.

I think firefox by default only plays gifs through so many times before it essentially pauses them for the remaining time you have firefox.exe running, even if you refresh said page/gif.

There is maybe a setting for it in about:config but I haven't seen one [smile]
[Update: I found the config setting and there is more info about it here ..but even with normal set, I still find some gifs stop animating after they play through so many times]

Regards,
ViLiO

[Edit: I have no extensions installed at all so this MUST be default behaviour [smile]]
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
I've already tried in safe mode which disables all user settings and all extensions, so I don't know what the problem can be. I'm looking at that link you've supplied as we speak.

EDIT: That fixed it. For some reason the animation_mode was set to "none" instead of "normal" ... NFI what caused it to do that. Thanks for the help =D
In my experience GIF's usually stop playing when FF tries to load something. You might want to make sure that there are no pages loading in other tabs, and that none of the pages use AJAX (which loads stuff in the background. The status bar says done. The throbber doesn't rotatem but FF is still loading stuff). Turn off java and &#106avascript (to stop AJAX) and see if the problem persists.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Use Internet Explorer. It's a far superior web browser, as anyone on the Internet will tell you.
Quote:Original post by furby100
Use Internet Explorer. It's a far superior web browser, as anyone on the Internet will tell you.

*CHORTLE*

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement