[java] LWJGL vs JOGL (part 2)

Started by
57 comments, last by Vorax 18 years, 2 months ago
I found this old thread while trying to decide between which of the two libraries to use. However, much has changed in a year and a half, and I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on these libraries (specifically, which one would offer the most stability). I know I'm potentially starting a flamewar with this post, but I think a good comparison between these two libraries might come of it. Here's what I've gathered so far: LWJGL - Has been in development longer, more stable, larger userbase, doesn't need Swing/AWT. JOGL - JSR-231 (potentially a part of the JVM in the future), more OO based, easily integrates with Swing/AWT I suppose the decision should be mostly made on what the requirements are. The OO Java programmer in me sees JOGL as a nice framework, but the gamer in me wants something more stable and reliable like LWJGL. What are your thoughts?
Advertisement
More info (no opinion yet)

JOGL (OpenGL)
JOAL (OpenAL)

LWJGL

Don't forget
JMonkeyEngine

This is just additional information to "aid" the topic.

Thanks Whackjack for bringing it up. :)
“every idea is a responsibility”
Dude, all the cool kids use JOGL. You want to be cool don't you?
"... we should have such an empire for liberty as she has never surveyed since the creation ..."Thomas Jefferson
And all the people who have actually shipped products use LWJGL...

Cas :)
I know nothing about either of them, other than that a developer for LWJGL helps people out on these and other forums, while I haven't seem much from any JOGL developer.
Quote:Original post by Whackjack
...more OO based...

The OO Java programmer in me sees JOGL as a nice framework...

What does that mean? How is JOGL 'more OO' than LWJGL?

Since JSR 231, JOGL is much more attractive than it used to be. I'm still not keen on JOAL, so for me that's where LWJGL has the bonus points right now. But I'm seriously considering JOGL for an upcoming project.
Any reason why not use LWJGL for it...?

Quote:Original post by princec
And all the people who have actually shipped products use LWJGL...

Yeah, this was the compelling reason for me when deciding which binding I was going to go with. There wasn't a lot in it until I thought: "Right, who's actually sold a game using this stuff". LWJGL has been used for "Tribal trouble" and a couple of other commercial games.

Has anyone actually played Tribal Trouble? I tried the demo on my machine and it repeatedly crashed with Exceptions as error messages - terrible development practise that - showing the end user stack traces. I gave up at that point.

Jon
Strange, TT is one of the tightest bits of code I've ever seen. Never seen it print out a stacktrace either. Or crash for that matter. If you've got any problems with it Oddlabs would definitely like to hear from you.

There's always my games too.

Quote:Original post by princec
Strange, TT is one of the tightest bits of code I've ever seen. Never seen it print out a stacktrace either. Or crash for that matter. If you've got any problems with it Oddlabs would definitely like to hear from you.

There's always my games too.

I'll try it again and message you with the results.
Cheers
Jon

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement