critique my roadmap to a 2D MMORPG

Started by
20 comments, last by Thevenin 18 years, 1 month ago
I did this just for fun as sort of a list of sample applications to build to learn the skillset to 2D MMORPG, here's what I've got so far Is there any projects that don't look like they should be there, or any missing steps I should put in?
Advertisement
You could probably go from tetris to a scrolling map game and skip the pacman step.
--------------------------I present for tribute this haiku:Inane Ravings OfThe Haunting JubilationA Mad Engineer©Copyright 2005 ExtrariusAll Rights Reserved
Do them both, just do the first few on the right side very fast.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
If it's a model for what's the norm, "GameDev Help Wanted help request" should be before every step.

To be serious, I agree with Witchcraven.
You know what, I might run a month long contest to see who can complete your flow chart to the furthest degree. Each step would have a set point value of exponentially increasing value. Hmm...

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Quote:Original post by Witchcraven
You could probably go from tetris to a scrolling map game and skip the pacman step.

I disagree, and the only reason is that your first few games will suck. It's a fact of life. So why not make PacMan and get the experience of making the game, even though it's not much harder than Tetris. It's a different experience. Plus, you learn the basics of AI, which is nice to know.

If you make two small 2D games, then an MMO, the MMO won't be as good as if you've made four small 2D games. Guaranteed.

I like your plan, really, it seems to be very well structured and if you stick to it you should be able to do a small, simple MMO at the end of it. After that, you'll be ready for the big time! :)

(Not sure if you're a dev whose making this for someone else, or for yourself, but if it's for you then good luck, and if it's for someone else then good job!) [lol]

[Edited by - JBourrie on February 27, 2006 5:47:54 PM]

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Quote:Original post by JBourrie
I disagree, and the only reason is that your first few games will suck. It's a fact of life. So why not make PacMan and get the experience of making the game, even though it's not much harder than Tetris. It's a different experience. Plus, you learn the basics of AI, which is nice to know.

I was thinking to add this as forced collision detection against walls for a moving object, as well as basic pathfinding(not much fun of a game when the enemies just walk into walls).

I'm no expert but I feel like there should be another game in there, unless I'm misunderstanding your game with scrolling maps. It just seems like the MMORPG is way bigger (even a small one) than anything else on there. Maybe like a really short 2D single player RPG would be a good step, to get practice handling larger amounts of resources.

I really like the idea of a road map though, I have no desire to make an MMORPG, but I may make a road map too just for fun :). Starting with Space Invaders, but I don't really have an end goal, Gran Turismo?
Quote:Original post by JBourrie
Quote:Original post by Witchcraven

[lol]

You would probably get all that stuff in the scrolling game, as well as 2d graphical MUD. PacMan seems a bit redundant. Not that redundancy is bad, it is practice.
--------------------------I present for tribute this haiku:Inane Ravings OfThe Haunting JubilationA Mad Engineer©Copyright 2005 ExtrariusAll Rights Reserved
how bout I change the scrolling game to 2D RPG?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement