Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Copying data and corruption

Started by Slaru Mar 5, 2006 at 2:44 PM 1 replies 950+ views
Original Post
Slaru
Slaru
Hello, I'll be transferring all my files from one hard drive to another and then back again (because of reinstalling windows and switching hard drives). What is the reliability of this operation and it not corrupting the data? Do I have anything to fear? Does Windows verify the results of the copy with the source? I don't have any files that are very important not to lose but I don't want to lose anything. Slaru
DrewGreen
DrewGreen
You'll probably be fine, but if you want to be absolutely sure, try using xcopy with the /V option.

(or as it says on the page about verify, "Windows Explorer will always copy with verify ON", so you probably don't need to use xcopy either)
"I must not fear. Fear is the mindkiller. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn to see fear's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." ~Frank Herbert, DuneMy slice of the web
Slaru
Slaru
Thanks

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.