Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Oblivion Screenshots (as requested) (56k need not apply)

Started by CHollman82 Mar 23, 2006 at 6:10 PM 44 replies 10.3k views
Original Post
CHollman82
CHollman82
This game is amazing... as a tech demo. How it is as a game is yet to be seen, I have only played for a few hours so far. Widescreen...
codeXtremeif(you->intelligence < radish->intelligence) you->STFU();
aidan_walsh
aidan_walsh
Dial up users are going to have one massive, communial hernia... Its customary to warn them off if you are posting large, or multiple images.
www.aidanwalsh(.net)(.info)
xanin
xanin
Quote:
Original post by aidan_walsh
Dial up users are going to have one massive, communial hernia... Its customary to warn them off if you are posting large, or multiple images.


I'd argue that a title of "Oblivion Screenshots" is pretty good warning.


On topic of the shots, thanks a bunch, i esp like the last couple there with the outdoors.
bjle
bjle
Note that the game can also look very very bad, when looking at "unloaded" areas.
CHollman82
CHollman82
Quote:
Original post by bjle
Note that the game can also look very very bad, when looking at "unloaded" areas.


The only time you would ever have "unloaded" areas is if your view distances (there are multiple) are turned down. At the top of the Jerhal mountains I can see all the way across the map, including the two major cities in between. Max view distance is literally infinite in this game, just look at the second and third widescreen shots...
codeXtremeif(you->intelligence < radish->intelligence) you->STFU();
nilkn
nilkn
Quote:
Original post by bjle
Note that the game can also look very very bad, when looking at "unloaded" areas.


There are spots where it doesn't look amazing or stunning, but I have yet to see anything in this game that looks "very, very bad." Perhaps it is just my own personal experience, though. [smile]

Off-topic: How did you take those screenshots, CHollman82? I tried to take a few yesterday, but apparently, at least for me, hitting the PrtScrn keyboard button doesn't work. I looked around in the controls menu but couldn't find anything about taking screenshots.
Cold_Steel
Cold_Steel
What are your system specs out of curiosity?
Also, there'd better be a frickin' UPS package waiting for me when I get home tomorrow!!! If there's not, and I can't play Oblivion this weekend, I'll break out a can of whoop-ass on that fugly brown truck![wink] Who am I kidding, UPS won't let me down, it says tomorrow so it will be here...right?

You know it's funny, it kinda seems like Oblivion will be the game Ultima IX should have been.
______"Man is born free, and everywhere he is in chains" - J.J. Rousseau
b2b3
b2b3
And now for the obvoius question: what hardware do you have? I have only Radeon 9600 and I'm pretty sure it will not look like your's screenies but I'd like to know what kind of difference it will make.
ViLiO
ViLiO
Quote:
Original post by CHollman82
How do you guys think an FX5950 will do with 1gig of RAM and a 1.8ghz AthlonXP

Quote from the other oblivion thread (these may not be his specs, but if they are then it looks damn nice considering [smile])
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
Cold_Steel
Cold_Steel
Quote:
Original post by ViLiO
Quote:
Original post by CHollman82
How do you guys think an FX5950 will do with 1gig of RAM and a 1.8ghz AthlonXP

Quote from the other oblivion thread (these may not be his specs, but if they are then it looks damn nice considering [smile])
Sweet, that looks good for those specs. I am sooo not going to be able to concentrate at work tomorrow.
______"Man is born free, and everywhere he is in chains" - J.J. Rousseau
CHollman82
CHollman82
-How did I take the screenshots?

Well, those aren't all my screenshots, to be fair. Only the widescreen ones hosted on imageshack are mine. To take them you can use a program called fraps that you can download for free. It will show your framerate and let you take screenshots and many other things in any Direct3D based game.

-What kind of hardware do you have?

I have a 7800gtx, 2gb of Corsair XMS DDR 400, and an Athlon X2 4400+

ViLiO, those are the specs of my girlfriends computer, she wanted to know if she could play it. It will run ok on hers, in 800x600 with 4x AA and full view distance, but I bet she will wait and play it on my computer instead.
codeXtremeif(you->intelligence < radish->intelligence) you->STFU();
CHollman82
CHollman82
Quote:
Original post by BBB
I have a few questions.
First; Morrowind was very big (not as gigantic as Daggerfall from what I've heard, but still huge), how large is this Island? I've heard that they have decreased its size (not saying that must be a bad thing, just wondering).


It is very large. It is hard to compare it to Morrowind because while Morrowind was set on an island with water for borders this is set more or less between mountain ranges with arbitrary "invisible wall" borders. While the map might be smaller than Morrowind (again, hard to tell) this might just have more area overall.

Quote:
Original post by BBB
Second; are there loading areas like those in Morrowind or does it stream like Dungeon Seige ei no loading times? Since that was a bit annoying in Morrowind.


Enter and leaving buildings or dungeons is the only places you will have to wait for loading. Outside it seems that the next areas pre-load as you go. It will say "Loading Area" at the bottom right, but the game will not pause or hitch at all.

Quote:
Original post by BBB
Also from what I've read the combat-system seems much better. Thats really what annoyed me the most in MW; the boring fights.


The combat system is significantly better. For example, I never got into using bows in Morrowind because they seemed so cheesy and fake. In this game arrows follow realistic trajectories and will stick in things and stay in them, or bounce of and land on the floor (depending on the material). Also, arrows will empart a force on what they hit, sometimes knocking back an enemy. I have even used arrows to knock these crystal things out of their holders when they were too high to reach.

As far as blades and blunt weapons go there are some minor improvements. First, the difference between a weak quick attack and a strong slow attack is much more obvious. You can even combine movement with strong attacks to do things such as lunge and knock down, sidestep and parry, or even disarm or stun your opponent. Blocking is much improved and skilled enemies will block very effectively (which can get very frustrating). If you hit an enemy while he is blocking you will be temporarily stunned and susceptable to his next attack. I once used a lunging power attack on an enemy and caused him to stumble backwards and trip over a table, knocking everything that was on the table onto the ground.

Magic is much more fun now also, which is mostly to do with the graphics and physics. Fireballs and similiar spells empart a force when they hit similar to arrows. Using a spell will illuminate you and give up your cover if you are trying to be stealthy (which is also vastly improved, but I won't go into that)
codeXtremeif(you->intelligence < radish->intelligence) you->STFU();
pi_equals_3
pi_equals_3
Quote:
Original post by Cold_Steel
Also, there'd better be a frickin' UPS package waiting for me when I get home tomorrow!!! If there's not, and I can't play Oblivion this weekend, I'll break out a can of whoop-ass on that fugly brown truck![wink] Who am I kidding, UPS won't let me down, it says tomorrow so it will be here...right?


I know exactly how you feel. I'm hoping UPS will deliver mine by tomorrow, but my delivery date still says yesterday, so I don't know what to expect.

And even worse, if I do get it tomorrow, I'm extremely busy all weekend long. I won't be able to concentrate for days, or maybe I just won't sleep for a while.


But anyway...WOW! Nice screenshots. I can't wait to walk around and explore those forests.
Moe
Moe
Thanks for the screenies! Many thanks!

I can't wait to see this game in action. My computer is too slow (or at least my vid card) so I will have to see it on a friends...
Rob Loach
Rob Loach
Wow, I can see myself wasting my life (again) on Elder Scrolls.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [
Avatar God
Avatar God
Wow. I might have to buy this game. It looks incredible, and then I read this:
Quote:
I once used a lunging power attack on an enemy and caused him to stumble backwards and trip over a table, knocking everything that was on the table onto the ground.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
blanky
blanky
WOOOOW, that's nice, it's intimidating.
Ysaneya
Ysaneya
Wow, i must say i'm a bit disapointed by these screenshots so far. They've selected the best ones (of course) for their website / marketing. The trees and vegetation look very good, but since they're using middleware, that's expected. But on the first 10 screenshots, i can see a few blury textures, little to no bump mapping, and a real lack of shadows except for the main character.

Screen 3, with the exclusion of the tree, could have been taken from Morrowind. Kudos for the "moon" which looks horrible.

Screen 10 looks like it was taken from a 3 years old game.

All the landscape screenies after #12 are looking good, especially the atmosphere/scattering effects. But on screen #12, the terrain looks pretty bad ( look at the texture splatting, tiling and blurriness). Fortunately, they've got trees and vegetation to hide it.

Despite this, i'm definately going to buy this game asap. I'm particularly excited about the A.I. Sounds like something that hadn't been done since the Ultima serie.

Y.
vNistelrooy
vNistelrooy
Quote:
Original post by Ysaneya
Wow, i must say i'm a bit disapointed by these screenshots so far. They've selected the best ones (of course) for their website / marketing. The trees and vegetation look very good, but since they're using middleware, that's expected. But on the first 10 screenshots, i can see a few blury textures, little to no bump mapping, and a real lack of shadows except for the main character.


It looks to me like there is no anisotropic filtering, textures are sharp enough. You have a 7800GTX enable aa and af!
"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.