C++, DirectX and technical writing - TripleBuffer Software looking for team members

Started by
-1 comments, last by IFooBar 17 years, 11 months ago
Hello, I started the TripleBuffer website over 4 years ago. The goal was to help people to learn DirectX while I myself learnt how to get through it and to develop a game on the side. It died a couple of years back. A few months ago I decided to redo the whole thing. The new site is done, the tutorial system is up in place, the team coordination systems are up in place (a blog, a forum and an svn server) and a few tutorials have een written. Now all I need are like minded individuals to share my vision with. The goals This is a purely hobby based effort. What you'll essentially be is the *other half* (or other third depending on how many team members we get) of triplebuffer software. The main thing is to get the tutorials going and develop the common library for them. All team members will get a page of their own with their own personal blog to write in. You can put up your own projects there and show off your own personal stuff as well. The main site will have *our* stuff. Eventually, I want to start writing a few casual games. And then something bigger. But definetly casual games and a hobby engine is in the plan. I also want to eventually make a slightly big game later on. But that'll come after the casual games and the engine. It's a really long term thing. Here's our path: tutorials/articles -> build community -> release some original casual games -> develop engine on the side -> make big game with already existing engine (ala C4/Torque) Required persons Here's a list of the requirements you have to meet before being able to join: - Very good at C++. There can be no bending on this one. You have to have spent a significant amount of time programming in C++. - Intermediary level with the DirectX 9 SDK. Preferably more then just D3D. DAudio and DInput will give you more points. You don't have to be brilliant with DX, but you should know how to find out how to get things done by yourself at the very least. - Good writing skills. Very good English is a must, and you should enjoy writing a little bit at least. - Decent experience with the Win32 Platform Library. - A chronic love for RPGs is a necessity. What you'll get out of this - Self satisfaction. - You'll learn A LOT. I actually learnt a few new things while making the intro to D3D tutorial! - Respect. People will look up to you as you'll be teaching them. You'll have a lot of responsibility with this as well because you have to keep the tutorials of high quality. You have little room for error. - Good on your portfolio. If the site does really well and people really like the work and tutorials, then it'll help you get a job in the games industry. - Experience. You'll get a lot of experience in technical writing, DirectX, C++ programming and game development. - A game dev family. The triplebuffer team so to speak, who respects and helps each other out whenever wherever. More info You can check out the plan for more information. The items in red at the top have not been implemented yet. Everything else on the TODO list is done. And the tutorials in blue are complete You may be thinking: "just 4 tutorials done?". Well yes, the tutorials are quite packed with information and the explanations are revised thuroughly and then are edited by Eric Yuzwa (author of Game Programming in C++: Start to Finish and the API independant rendering articles here on gamedev.net) There is also a more detailed "tutorial list" available here (Note: this is on my home pc and it may be down from time to time) And finally you can see the site here. Check out the first tutorial that I've released - Introduction to Windows. It'll give you some idea of the quality of work I'm aiming (and expecting) for this time. One thing you should keep in mind is that you're not going to be writing small little tutorials that just show the code of how to do something. You're going to go much deeper then the usual DX/Windows tutorials out there (that's actually what'll make you learn new stuff you thought you already knew). How to apply Send an email to or reply to this post *after* reading the plan document (last time people tried contacting me and they hadn't even read the plan - which was really annoying). In the email or your forum reply, please include the following: 1) If you have part of this community or any other then include your nickname on various message boards so I can check out your profile. 2) If you have a personal website include that. 3) List your favourite games and some vague reason as to why you love them (yes vague is fine). 4) If you have any published articles online then give me links to those. 5) If you have worked on a previous project(s) or team(s) before then mention those. 6) Also mention why you want to become part of TripleBuffer. 7) How much time you can commit per week - best guess. 8) Are you in university right now, or school? Or neither and working. Or not doing anything? 9) How long would you say it would take you to write up a single tutorial (of good quality) - again, best guess. 10) Rate yourself out of 10 with C++. Further questions If you have any further questions then please email me or you can ask here on this thread. Thank you. [Edited by - IFooBar on May 4, 2006 8:36:15 AM]
[size=2]aliak.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement