Macbook Pro oppinions

Started by
10 comments, last by Code_Dark 18 years ago
Over the last few weeks, I have been thinking of purchasing a Macbook Pro of some sort for my first Mac. They are lighter, faster, and nicer than my current laptop, plus OSX has a good BSD base. The reason I'm thinking of the move to OSX is because I need access to certain proprietary applications that just do not run in wine. (specifically Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and the like) Now I know that Photoshop CS2 does not run extremely fast on them because the binary has to run through Rosetta, but what about Photoshop CS or Photoshop 7? I would also like to ask the people here that have them what their oppinions are and how the heat is. I asked the salesman at the Apple store what he thought they would do about the thermal paste issues discovered over at SA and he said, "I have no idea what you're talking about. If it's an *internet fueled* problem, I have no clue." That's funny, for someone who doesn't know what it is, he knows where it came from? So how does this effect you guys, I don't want to void my waranty on a laptop. I am also interested if any of you have gotten an AppleCare certified shop to fix the issue for you so that it was still under waranty. Apparently someone over at SA did. Thanks for any help, Cody Join my irc network: irc://irc.thewildcard.org/main
Advertisement
I love OS X, so I'd agree with your choice of OS, but I've had some pretty serious issues with the intel processor based Macbook Pro's. Specifically there are a few mission critical software programs that don't work very well or at all for me under rosetta.

Specifically LispWorks and Allegro both just seize up if they even run at all.

Make sure your software you need works on an INtel based Macbook before you buy one!!

Other than that, they're fast as heck!

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
So you aren't having these heat and whine issues then? I can deal with a warm laptop, just not one that burns me.
No heat issues, though I tend to code with it on a desk rather than my lap:) The old powerbooks tended to almost burn your legs off if you used them on your lap:)

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
Thanks for the reply. May I ask what the specs on your system are? I was looking at the model with 2gb of ram and the 2.16ghz processor, since this is the laptop I will only be able to get for the next few years.
Dont buy RAM through apple...they sell for 3x's what the market is bearing right now.
I agree with firahs. The MBP is an excellent product, and the ones that I've tried so far seem to be solid hardware that runs OS X quite nicely. Some apps are better with Rosetta than others, but you always have the option for Windows (with Boot Camp) in case you find something that absolutely bogs under translation.

I would definitely recommend the machine; CS2 on my test MBP seemed to run well enough for me, but I've never gotten a chance to use 99% of its capabilities so take it with a grain of salt. chollida1's apparently a bit of a wuss; I have no problem using my 12" Powerbook on my lap even under super-high loads. [grin]

AppleCare *should* fix it under warranty; I've seen AppleCare replace entire machines for free after heat issues (although this was with a G3 iBook, but I doubt it's changed). If an individual store gives you a hard time, call Apple and have them handle the problem -- you can get a lot of parts covered under warranty that really shouldn't be.

All in all: I'd highly recommend one. But try it out first. Go to an Apple store and screw with one for a couple hours.
I've been happy with mine.

The only problem I've had is a cosmetic issue. The case gets dirty pretty easy since it's silver :).

I just wipe it down with monitor wipes every once in a while to keep it's look :P
Ravuya's right, I"m kind of a wimp:)

I get the feeling he's got a great knowledge of OS X though his statement that bootcamp allows you to run programs that dont' run well under rossetta is a little misleading.

The program's I can't run under rossetta are ppc programs boot camp won't help there. You need to either stay with a ppc chip or wait until the vendors update their apps. Both options aren't really that great of options either;)

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
A friend of mine uses his under some heavy tungsten lights as a primary component in sound engineering a local improv show. It never fails.

Kult House - Fresh Production Media

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement