The Industry

Started by
3 comments, last by Thygrrr 17 years, 9 months ago
I just thought about the parallels of Gamedev.net to the movie The Island: Wow, so many people, all doing essentially the same things every day, and all desperately hoping to get into "The Industy" some day. Looking towards the Jobs & Help Wanted boards like some kind of daily lottery event, where the few and the brave strike it rich, progressing from their current stages of existence onward, into The Industry. What if The Industry is only something they're trying to make us believe, so we remain calm and work towards their goals, becoming some kind of product? What if The Industry is a place that is not filled with joy, but instead with pain, suffering and endless crunchtime? Where everybody gets burnt up, essentially ending their merry lives as merry developers, leaving nothing but a husked shell of what once was a beautiful human being with a beautiful mind? Wait, this was never fiction, it's the truth...! They're all going to get us! They'll take us to The Industry! Run away now!
Advertisement
I don't think so, as I'm not wearing a snappy tracksuit while pushing train wheels off the back of a robotic 18-wheeler.
And I don't have Scarlett Johansen working next to me..
What if people realized that any job you do, no matter how exciting it sounds, still becomes tedious when doing it 40 hours a week (minimum), every week, under the direction of a company who's sole purpose is to make money?
Quote:Original post by Ravuya
I don't think so, as I'm not wearing a snappy tracksuit while pushing train wheels off the back of a robotic 18-wheeler.

Not yet, my friend, not yet!

Quote:Original post by Spintwo
And I don't have Scarlett Johansen working next to me..

Be glad, she's one of them!

Expect mass winnings soon. Dozens among us will become part of The Industry, and they will gleefully accept their Doom, working themselves into Oblivion and Burnout! Life becomes Black & White, even The Movies seem like from Another World. Some will even reach a state of dementia referred to as Duke Nukem... Forever!

Quote:Original post by ChurchSkiz
What if people realized that any job you do, no matter how exciting it sounds, still becomes tedious when doing it 40 hours a week (minimum), every week, under the direction of a company who's sole purpose is to make money?

Rating++ :) You got my whole point. While my brain is starting to feel like a hard-boiled egg, I'm still enjoying my job tremendously. But not enough, apparently, because I'll start a serious amateur project in my part time again (prolly BECAUSE everything in business is bent on making money and not the art of game development).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement