Promoting myself as an artist on the Internet

Started by
18 comments, last by Jarrod1937 17 years, 8 months ago
I apologise to people who deserve it. This topic might be of interest to many (depending on the quality of the replies), although it is not programming-related. My aim is not to invoke a discussion (or even to promote myself really), but merely to seek advice (on how to promote myself). I'll try and be concise. I am an artist working in the electronic music field (as slightly more than a hobby, but greatly less than a full-time job). Unfeatured - I've had close to zero exposure. And I'm not familiar with how to impose myself on what-not it is that I should be imposing myself on. The problem is that I don't have the money to hire an agent and I don't have the time, or that other thing - interest - to do the lobbying. Simply put, I'm looking for the simplest, most easily exploitable way(s) of exposing my work electronically. As things are, just uploading something is pointless - you need a catalyst of some sort. Since this really is not the place to advertise myself, I'll post the two links that you can click to listen to my stuff with a note of discretion. Sure, you're free to comment, but comments and a friendly pat on the back are not (no longer) that which I'm really looking for (you can pat away, though). my MySpace account my AudioStreet account The sole reason I'm posting this thread in the Lounge instead of the Sound and Music forum is the combination of two ratios: experience and exposure - you can figure out the rest. If anyone sees this as blatant self-promotion that shouldn't belong here, feel free to close this thread. The promotional section of this post is: you can always distribute the above links to your friends if you're inclined to do so.
"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
Advertisement
Is this game related at all? ie, are you intending to make music for games. If so, one thing you can do is actively seek an work with indie game developers who might need some music for their projects. Build a name of yourself like that and as you are currently doing.

Dave
Quote:Original post by Dave
Is this game related at all?

No.

"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
Is this an area you wish to avoid, because what i said could still help.
Dave is right Crispy. Exposure can come from the most unseeming of places.
I'm familiar with that - in fact I have experience with that. What you're suggesting includes four factors, three out of which are very unwanted: lobbying, hard work (the wanted factor), risk and greatly misdirected exposure. Game music, like film music, is not the same as "standard" music and is essentially a trap door to a world that I don't want to get into because I've been there and I didn't like it; the reasons are full of subtleties and I'd prefer to not waste bandwidth on justifying my preferences.
Quote:Original post by Crispy
I'm familiar with that - in fact I have experience with that. What you're suggesting includes four factors, three out of which are very unwanted: lobbying, hard work (the wanted factor), risk and greatly misdirected exposure. Game music, like film music, is not the same as "standard" music and is essentially a trap door to a world that I don't want to get into because I've been there and I didn't like it; the reasons are full of subtleties and I'd prefer to not waste bandwidth on justifying my preferences.

Please explain the difference betweeen "standard" music exposure and game music exposure...
Quote:Original post by Rain 7
Please explain the difference betweeen "standard" music exposure and game music exposure...

Off the top of your head, name three game music makers. No, name one.
Quote:Original post by Crispy
Quote:Original post by Rain 7

Off the top of your head, name three game music makers. No, name one.

Nobuo Uematsu.

I can name a few more: Frank Klepacki, Yasunori Mitsuda, Jeremy Soule.

I don't know how they all got started in game music work.
"Sir, it is pie." - Mark TwainThe ArchWizard's site.
Jesper Kyd composed the music for the Hitman series. He could have done other things, but this is what I know him for.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement