Isometric Projection using OpenGL

Started by
1 comment, last by The_Frag_Man 17 years, 7 months ago
I came across a very good and interesting tutorial on Isometric Pixel Art, which sparked an interest in me on the subject. I wanted to try using OpenGL to easily render a 3D scene in an isometric projection, with emphasis on pixel precision. So I decided to make a little isometric terrain (RollerCoaster Tycoon-style) rendering demo. I didn't do any planning for it, and just hacked some code together in one day, but it ended up working pretty well in the end. It's not 100% perfect or accurate, since it's just a hack, but I'm not really planning to make an engine or a game out of it (I already have many other projects to finish without starting new ones), so it's fine as is. I also added some simple lighting to give it a better look, and use the advantages of a true 3D system. It was my first time using lighting in OpenGL (I've never gotten that far yet, lol), so that was also sloppily hacked together. Anyway, here's a screenshot to give you an idea of what it looks like. You can also download the Windows binaries here if you wanna check it out for yourself (you can modify the terrain and move the light).
Advertisement
That looks very good! Is there any chance I could have a peek at the source code. I intend to work on something similar (OpenGL + Orthogonal view) and as I am still a n00b I think could learn from viewing your source.

Mark
I'd like to get a look at the source too, I'm trying to do something similar.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement