GLee, GLEW, etc in Production

Started by
8 comments, last by ehmdjii 17 years, 5 months ago
Hi, Does anyone have info on GLee, GLEW and similar extension management libs being used in production? Is the general opinion a thumbs up, or do folks like ID roll their own? Cheers
Advertisement
iD probably did their own, however this isn't a good reason for doing so, indeed given the mature state of GLee and GLEW I'd say that for a new production now it would be down right stupid to do your own extension management unless you had a REALLY good reason for doing so.
second that. I tend to code a lot of stuff myself because I fear libraries are often far to 'heavy' for me to use. GLee is super lightweight and highly recommended.
I use GLEW myself, and I don't quite see the difference between GLEW and GLEE... Use what you feel is right for you :)
Quote:Original post by coordz
I tend to code a lot of stuff myself because I fear libraries are often far to 'heavy' for me to use.

Ah, that old fear... you should probably learn to get over it [smile]
I'm not saying all libs are great, however you should evalute them before deciding to write your own; if the writer is any good they should have made it pretty light and well designed anyways

"Not made here" syndrome is horrible and should be avoided as much as possible..
Another thumbs up for GLEW/GLEE. They are very mature and will save you a big chunk of time.
Orin Tresnjak | Graphics ProgrammerBethesda Game StudiosStandard Disclaimer: My posts represent my opinions and not those of Bethesda/Zenimax, etc.
Don't worry phantom :) I quite often give libraries a whirl before dumping them for my own code ;)
I haven't used GLEE but GLEW is amazing :)
"It's better to regret something you've done than to regret something you haven't done."
I haven't used GLEE but GLEW is amazing :)
"It's better to regret something you've done than to regret something you haven't done."
does anyone have used both and may recommend one?

are there any markable differences?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement