Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

wxWidgets is crap

Started by DaBookshah Dec 27, 2006 at 3:53 AM 15 replies 6.4k views
Original Post
DaBookshah
DaBookshah
I feel like I am about to strangle someone! I need to use a GUI library with C++, windows. At the moment I am trying wxWidgets but am not too happy. I have an irritating stack-overflow exception which seems to be related to wxGLCanvas, and which is present in all 3 of the wxGLCanvas-related sample programs, too. Can someone suggest a fix, or better yet, a better GUI library to use? I've never done any c++ graphics programming before(I mean buttons, user interface, etc. I know a fair amount of opengl though), so I don't really know what's recommended. I am using Visual studio 2005, unmanaged C++. I'm not really too keen on using windows forms, because that would mean using managed C++, but if that's the best option then so be it. Thanks
daviangel
daviangel
Ever tried QT that's supposed to have the best cross-platform widgets?
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
DaBookshah
DaBookshah
I'll look into it, but bear in mind that I wasn't using wxWidgets for its cross-platform nature - I'm coding for windows only.
manuelb
manuelb
Is it UI for a game or for a "normal" application ?
--------------------------Rory Gallagher and Chico Science music !!!!!!!---------------------------____||~~~~|/TT
manuelb
manuelb
You could try GTK
--------------------------Rory Gallagher and Chico Science music !!!!!!!---------------------------____||~~~~|/TT
DaBookshah
DaBookshah
Quote:
Original post by manuelb
Is it UI for a game or for a "normal" application ?


Guess I should have said - Umm.....Game, I suppose. Basically I'm envisaging a side-panel of normal buttons,text, etc, and a 3-d view covering the rest of the window. By normal, I mean......nothing fancy, just like in a normal application.
Kazade
Kazade
I've used wxWidgets with wxGLCanvas alot, and i've never had any problems with it. It may be a driver issue, can you give us any more information? Have you debugged to find where the overflow is occuring? If so posting your code around where the exception occurs may be helpful.

Luke.
Member of the NeHe team.
manuelb
manuelb
Quote:
Original post by DaBookshah
Quote:
Original post by manuelb
Is it UI for a game or for a "normal" application ?


Guess I should have said - Umm.....Game, I suppose. Basically I'm envisaging a side-panel of normal buttons,text, etc, and a 3-d view covering the rest of the window. By normal, I mean......nothing fancy, just like in a normal application.


You could try GTK, QT or WinAPI (WinAPI is a pain but you will learn a lot about windows).
If you don't mind about the language, you could also try Lazarus. It uses object pascal and GUI creation is easy an confortable. But if don't want managed C++, I think you mind :)

--------------------------Rory Gallagher and Chico Science music !!!!!!!---------------------------____||~~~~|/TT
manuelb
manuelb
Quote:
Original post by Kazade
I've used wxWidgets with wxGLCanvas alot, and i've never had any problems with it. It may be a driver issue, can you give us any more information? Have you debugged to find where the overflow is occuring? If so posting your code around where the exception occurs may be helpful.

Luke.


Yes, wxWidgets is not crap. You should also try to solve the problem with wxWidget. Could you give more information?
--------------------------Rory Gallagher and Chico Science music !!!!!!!---------------------------____||~~~~|/TT
Someone13
Someone13
Why not use SDL just to do OpenGL/Direct3D graphics? I find it nice and easy to use.

I've used wxWidgets dozens of times, and I liked it. Thats just me though.
christopherstott
christopherstott
If I'm going to do any exclusively-Windows GUI programming now, I'll use Windows Forms with C#. It depends on what you plan on doing, but it's easy to call unmanaged c++ code from inside c# (search for pinvoke). The time you'll save building the GUI will be more than enough to pick up the basics of C#. It really is a breeze to pick up.

If you want to stick with straight C++, then QT definitely gets my vote. It's a really nice class library to work with. Its support for non-GUI things is excellent too.
let_bound
let_bound
Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
I personally never had your specific problem of crashing with wxWidgets, but I would not be surprised if it did have windows specific bugs like all other portable linux-dominant projects.


If there is a dominant platform in the design and implementation of wxWidgets, it's Windows. [grin]

If stuck with C++, I'd personally go with Qt, but the GPL is probably a turn off for most people here, just like the pricing of the non-GPL licences. Other options include Ultimate++, FLTK and FOX. I'm sure there are more out there.

Hope this helps.
gumpy
gumpy
Quote:

wxWidgets is crap

you don't know the meaning of crap until you wrestle with awt.

if you're using opengl then how about cegui?
This space for rent.
DaBookshah
DaBookshah
Thanks for the responses guys. Definetly some stuff to think about there.
Thevenin
Thevenin
Quote:
Original post by manuelb
You could try GTK


GTK + UltraMon = Timebomb

If I leave OpenOffice or GIMP running for longer than a day or two, Windows will cease creating new controls. The second I close either OpenOffice of GIMP, everything returns to normal.
DaBookshah
DaBookshah
I have decided not to use a gui library and to just rely on the win32 api. wish me luck, i might need it.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.