Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Keyboards

Started by DaBookshah Mar 14, 2007 at 9:54 AM 44 replies 7.1k views
Original Post
DaBookshah
DaBookshah
Is it just me, or is the standard qwerty keyboard sorta annoying to use? I heard somewhere that we are still using the same keyboard layout as back when keyboards used to actually be mechanical, and so the point of the layout was to slow the operator down and allow time for stuff to happen. that true? wouldn't that mean there would be a better keyboard layout?
DaBookshah
DaBookshah
Must get one.....anyone here use one? is it better?
Ravuya
Ravuya
Qwerty is all muscle memory, though if you train down with Dvorak apparently error rates go down.
TimMisiak
TimMisiak
Quote:
Qwerty is all muscle memory, though if you train down with Dvorak apparently error rates go down.


I've heard that some of those studies were pretty biased, being done by Dvorak himself...

Regardless, I'm also a huge fan of the Natural Ergo Keyboard 4000. Long name, huge keyboard, but my wrists and fingers are happy.

Sneftel
Sneftel
Yet another vote for the Microsoft Natural keyboards. I'm not sure who it was that decided that our arms, when extended straight forwards, are five inches apart, but they were wrong.
jfclavette
jfclavette
Scratch another one for MS keyboards. I <3 my Natural Ergonomic 4000.
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
TimMisiak
TimMisiak
Microsoft should use this as advertising... "Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000: The official keyboard of Gamedev.net!"
xanin
xanin
Quote:
Original post by Sneftel
Yet another vote for the Microsoft Natural keyboards. I'm not sure who it was that decided that our arms, when extended straight forwards, are five inches apart, but they were wrong.


QFT.

And I use an Ergo 4000 at work too, love it.
Mathachew
Mathachew
MS Natural Ergonomic 4000. It will take your soul and you will be glad.

Seriously though, that keyboard rocks. I just wish it had a dedicated Stop button. Other than that, it r0x0rz j00r s0x0rz. No really, it does!
_the_phantom_
_the_phantom_
Quote:
Original post by necromancer_df
I just use a normal keyboard, don't have any problems.


Give it time....
Ravuya
Ravuya
I suddenly have an urge to purchase an Ergo 4000 keyboard.

My wrists are certainly on the fast track to being shot.
CaveDweller
CaveDweller
Quote:
Original post by DaBookshah
Is it just me, or is the standard qwerty keyboard sorta annoying to use?

I heard somewhere that we are still using the same keyboard layout as back when keyboards used to actually be mechanical, and so the point of the layout was to slow the operator down and allow time for stuff to happen. that true?

wouldn't that mean there would be a better keyboard layout?

It is true that the original mechanical typewriter keyboards were re-designed in order to slow down the operator. I'm sorry, I don't have a link for that but I can remember reading it in numerous places. The very original keyboard layout was designed to put the most commonly used keys in easily accessible places, but the typists soon became so fast that the metal keys would frequently jam up, so the keyboards were re-designed.

I'm sure there is a better layout, but I've been using this one for over 40 years. I don't think I could adjust any more.



Ra
Ra
I use standard IBM keyboards... the ones that don't have missing insert keys, funky enter keys, and 500 useless "web buttons".

They don't bother my wrists (I think that is more to do with wrist support and how you type than the keyboard itself), and I find lots of the ergonomic keyboard uncomfortable and clunky.

IBM classic PS/2 ftw.



EDIT: Mine has a Windows key.. I've become dependent on that. [headshake]
Ra
FunLogic
FunLogic
The MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 sure looks good. Anyone know how it compares to the MS Comfort Curve 2000?
Evil Steve
Evil Steve
Quote:
Original post by Ra
I use standard IBM keyboards... the ones that don't have missing insert keys, funky enter keys, and 500 useless "web buttons".

They don't bother my wrists (I think that is more to do with wrist support and how you type than the keyboard itself), and I find lots of the ergonomic keyboard uncomfortable and clunky.

IBM classic PS/2 ftw.



EDIT: Mine has a Windows key.. I've become dependent on that. [headshake]
My keyboard is almost identical, although mine is a dell keyboard (With Windows key). Everyone in my building knows when I'm typing.
tstrimp
tstrimp
Quote:
Original post by Ra
I use standard IBM keyboards... the ones that don't have missing insert keys, funky enter keys, and 500 useless "web buttons".




Not too many useless keys and a normal insert block. Most of the egronomic keyboards annoy me because they they change the way the page up / page down and home / end keys are layed out.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.