Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked 🤖 Godot

I'm thinking of taking a road trip....

Started by lethalhamster Mar 21, 2007 at 2:34 PM 2 replies 950+ views
Original Post
lethalhamster
lethalhamster
Well, I'm not doing much with my life right now. I'm 19, going to a technical college to get an Associates Degree in computer networking and I don't do much with my free time. I mostly work and go to school. Spring break is coming up(unfortunately its only a week long for me) and I thought it would be fun to take a road trip down to Southern California(I live right outside of Seattle WA.). I know a lot of people in SoCal, I grew up there and most of my family lives there and the weather should be f'ing awesome when I get there. I plan on doing it after this quarter(I don't have the money right now) and it will be summer time so I will have plenty of time off school. Oh, and work isn't a problem either. I can easily get at least a month off even though I don't plan on spending a month down there. What I would like to know is basically how much money am I looking at spending here? I have a Subaru Legacy L(Wagon) I think it gets ~20mile/gal. and Google maps says its 1,167 miles form Seattle, WA to Orange, CA. The only part that bothers me is it says it take 17 hours to get there and last summer when I went down there with my family it took us like 3 days and that doesn't make much sense, we should have made it in at least 2. Anyway, To get back on track, the math says I will need ~$175 in gas to get there(gas is just under $3/gallon here). I'm going to estimate it'll be about a 3day ride for me just to be safe. Has anyone else taken any road trips lately? What can I expect to pay on for hotel rooms for those 3 night getting down there? Where I go once I get there isn't an issue, I have like 10 aunts/uncles down there that would be more than happy to let me stay at their place's. Do you guys have any sort of tips or ideas? I don't know what there could be... do you recommend a more scenic route down there? I might be alone, which I don't have a problem with. This whole idea is just to get out of the house and away from my family for a while, so I'm not bringing any of my brothers for sure. Thanks for your responses.
............Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?
Benjamin Heath
Benjamin Heath
The gas alone cost me about $200 (I think, maybe a lil less) going from El Centro, CA to Grants Pass, OR in my Ford Focus. It would probably be a little less than twice as much to go up to Seattle. (To give you an idea, El Centro is about 12 minutes from the border.) Be advised, the gas in Socal isn't particularly cheap. In El Centro, we're paying about $3.19 per gallon this week. Next week? Who knows.

(Tip: Don't trust Google Maps. The maps are accurate, but it never gives me the shortest trip. Ever. Go buy an atlas and plan the trip yourself.)

For a round trip and money to spend while you're there, I'd aim for $1000 at least. The stuff goes fast, so give yourself some breathing room if you can.

Have fun, man! The sun's waiting for ya. :P
GameCreator
GameCreator
Microsoft Streets and Trips agrees with Google. 1,167 miles. It also says that at $3/gallon your fuel cost will be $129.68. Finally, driving 9AM to 5PM (without stopping), you cover 520.8 miles the first day, 574 miles the second and 72.2 miles the third, reaching Orange, CA at 10:04AM (17 hours, 4 minutes drive time).
lethalhamster
lethalhamster
Awesome, thanks GameCreator. I actually just mentioned my plans to a friend and he said he was just planning a road trip to CA as well. Looks like I'll have 3 other people in the car with me, and they all have a car once they get down there. That should make it a lot cheaper(and a hell of a lot more fun).
............Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.