Mass email program?

Started by
9 comments, last by slayemin 17 years ago
Hi, We've got a big mailinglist for our organisation members; about 1000 people. So far it's been ouar system admin doing the bulk emailing with his magical shell scripts in Unix. But as he's going to leave the organisation we Windows users need to pick up the magick wand somehow. Have you guys used any good mass email programs? Either local or run on a server? The ideal would be connecting to a mysql server and pulling e-mails from a db table through a SQL query (either pure SQL or generated by the app).
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]
Advertisement
Do any of you know .NET?

I threw together a C# program yesterday that pulls from an excel spreadsheet and emails out a message from a text file.

I'll post the source if you want.
So instead of just learning the existing shell scripts, you're going to throw everything out and hop on a brand-new solution?
Maega, I'm cured from NIH. :P

Ravuya, yes - as those are local to his home machine and not something on a server or anywhere else we can access it from.

Anyone know of a windows app for this that works? I've tried MailList and another one called MassMail or something (can't remember! gah). No luck.
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]
Quote:Original post by Seriema
Anyone know of a windows app for this that works?

I haven't tried any, but a search resulted in Rapid-Emailer which might be worth a try, apparently it's "FREE for small usage".

There seems to be a lot of software that can be tried and bought, like Bulk Mail Extreme which features "Loading recipients from text file, Access, Excel and other databases".
A program like that shouldn't take more than a couple hours. Just pick a scripting language, search on how to connect to a MySQL database and issue a query. Then, look up how to send an email.
If you dont want to write something yourself however I can recommend this.

http://www.download.com/Bulk-E-mailer/3000-2369_4-10359051.html

Our boss already had it so we didnt have to buy it, but if you dont mind spending $39.99 its ok for the money. Give the demo a try and see what you think.
Don't all web-scripting languages provide email built-in - so you could do it using PHP/JSP/ASP?

Some DBs provide email functionality too, I know Oracle does for instance.
Couldnt you make a simple php script using the mail() function? Like said above
No wonder we get so much spam...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement