Do cartoon-style games have to be for kids?

Started by
10 comments, last by RayNbow 16 years, 9 months ago
I am designing a "furry" game that takes place in a cel-shaded cartoon-like city. But, the storyline I have in mind isn't exactly for young children. It involves killing and such. My question is, do games in this style necessarily have to be "kid-friendly"? Would it be out-of-place to put shooting, sword fighting, and hand-to-hand combat in a cel-shaded furry game?
Advertisement
Quote:
Do cartoon-style games have to be for kids?

No.
Actually I heard that in Japan there use to be a video game in which you had to rape a little boy for the storyline (based on a book).
So it's a cultural thing that you wouldnt want kids to kill in games.

Anyway, I dont think so either, compare it with other media like south park or american dad or famely guy.
I'd say no as well, it depends on your game, XIII, for example, it's a fairly brutal game. Indeed, Cel-Shading is a comical look, but it can also be stylistic like Jet Set Radio. I am myself creating a Cel-Shaded game and it is more of a stylistic feature than one that dictates the audience we are aiming for.
My response to your question is a strong "no." First off, I enjoy good cartoon games. If you look at some of Lucasarts' old adventure games (Day of the Tentacle comes to mind), they were very cartoony in pretty much every sense, but very adult at the same time. I dunno, I tend to like ironies like teddybears laying waste to a bunch of clowns with rocket launchers.

Frankly, I wish there were more cartoony adult games out there. Good luck to you, and keep me up to date on your progress.
You must be joking....

Click Here, good sir.

mind you, this game was rated M for intense violence and language.

[Edited by - TheKrust on July 27, 2007 7:39:08 PM]
---------------------------------------- There's a steering wheel in my pants and it's drivin me nuts
Also, to add to the list...

Conker's Bad Fur Day

Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee

I should note for these both... /////NOT RECOMMENDED FOR CHILDREN\\\\\\
---------------------------------------- There's a steering wheel in my pants and it's drivin me nuts
What I meant to ask was "are cartoon-style adult games widely accepted", but I see now that they are.

Thanks for the examples!
Yes, I've heard of a game called Roger Ramrod which is an old Doom game that has cartoon sex animations spliced into it. The key is to define your game as of an adult nature on your home page and sign-up screen so people know that there is material for mature audiences inside. Then, if a kid thinks they can handle it, they can proceed.
Was Zelda Twilight Princess only for kids? Is southpark for kids? Is the Simpsons for kids?

No :D

-Stenny
What do I expect? A young man's quest to defeat an evil sorceror while discovering the truth of his origins. A plucky youngster attended by her brutish guardian. A powerful artifact which has been broken into a small number of artifactlets distributed around the world.What do I want? Fewer damn cliches. - Sneftel

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement