Selling a PC

Started by
9 comments, last by d000hg 16 years, 8 months ago
This is a custom built PC I made a bit over a year ago. I came across some unexpected costs this semester for a computer architecture class and since this one is a spare, I'm selling it off to pay for them. It has the following: 2.0Ghz AMD 3800+ CPU 1 CDRW drive 1 DVD/CDRW drive 120 GB hard drive 2 GB PC2300 RAM 7900GT Graphic Card Price: 750US Does not include a monitor. I do have a VGA to DVI converter (allows a CRT monitor to hook into the graphics card) that comes free with the system. Let me know if you or anyone you know is interested. M.
<work in progress>
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by M Eversberg II
This is a custom built PC I made a bit over a year ago. I came across some unexpected costs this semester for a computer architecture class and since this one is a spare, I'm selling it off to pay for them.

It has the following:

2.0Ghz AMD 3800+ CPU
1 CDRW drive
1 DVD/CDRW drive
120 GB hard drive
2 GB PC2300 RAM
7900GT Graphic Card

Price: 750US

Does not include a monitor. I do have a VGA to DVI converter (allows a CRT monitor to hook into the graphics card) that comes free with the system.

Let me know if you or anyone you know is interested.

M.

750$? You must be kidding, yes? What motherboard does it have? For 750$ one can build a machine that can blow the above out of its case (low/medium C2D, X1950 or 7900, both extremely cheap now, 2gb is 100$ for PC2 6400, you can get a 250GB drive for 50$, dvd/cd rw can be had for 10$).

Either way, I don't buy. I build. Sorry. Try ebay or something.
Yeah, I really recommend less than $750.

CPU = $65
GPU = $300
RAM = $100
HDD = $40?
CD/DVD drives = $60-or-so

I hope the case and PSU add up to about $200. Then you have to factor in that it is used, and the cost of shipping. I'd be selling it for about $400 at most if I were you, since I doubt anyone would buy it for so much.
NetGore - Open source multiplayer RPG engine
I would agree that you are more than a little over priced. Sucks how quickly the value of this stuff drops.
I'm surprised the 7900GT is still that expensive. Shouldn't it's price have dropped a lot more by this point? After all it isn't a DX10 card.

Sell a kidney or find 50 really fat chicks? (If you don't get the last reference, don't yell at me)
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
It's a family guy reference.

M.

EDIT: It's on Ebay now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220144871050&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=012

Starts at 500, buy it now of 600.
<work in progress>
Quote:Original post by M Eversberg II
It's a family guy reference.

M.

EDIT: It's on Ebay now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220144871050&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=012

Starts at 500, buy it now of 600.
IMO $500 is still a little high for a starting bid, but good luck anyway. It could also be worthwhile putting a bit more information about the components - For instance what make of 7900GT it is, is it a IDE or SATA hard drive, is it one or two hard drives, can it write CD + and - discs, or only one or the other, what speed the RAM is (I know you mentioned it in this thread, but not on the auction), and most importantly, what motherboard it is.
I was going to make an offer at $200. $500? Maybe you're lucky.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
I would say that system used is worth roughly $200-300. Electronics make car depreciation look like nothing.
400 seems as low as I can really go.

M.
<work in progress>
Quote:Original post by Spodi
Yeah, I really recommend less than $750.

CPU = $65
GPU = $300
RAM = $100
HDD = $40?
CD/DVD drives = $60-or-so

I hope the case and PSU add up to about $200. Then you have to factor in that it is used, and the cost of shipping. I'd be selling it for about $400 at most if I were you, since I doubt anyone would buy it for so much.

Perhaps the prices have dropped.

According to NewEgg:

CPU: $55
Graphics Card: $225
HDD: $45 for 160 GB
RAM: $85
CDRW & DVDRW: $50

Throw in a case, power supply, and other misc. items to finish the PC, and you're talking $500, maybe $550 brand new. Now, because it's used, you'll need to halve that price. At best, you're talking maybe $300, and $350 if you're really lucky.

Your best bet would honestly not to post it online, as you'll get people responding who actually build their computers and know values. Try posting in a local newspaper where you're more likely to get people who don't touch computers, and will be more likely to pay a higher cost than the actual value. In a local newspaper, I'm willing to wager that you can pull off $400, and might be able to get up to $450, plus you'll save on shipping costs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement