Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Super Mario Galaxy subliminal messaging

Started by Paradigm Shifter Sep 20, 2007 at 6:23 AM 27 replies 4.8k views
Original Post
Paradigm Shifter
Paradigm Shifter
Ha ha, just saw a discussion of this on the web, the sparkles in the corner of the letters spell out UR MR GAY. I'm amazed people notice stuff like this. Do you think the logo will be changed because of this. I think it is funny in a childish sort of way anyway.
"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley
Mr Gay
Mr Gay
Frankly, I don't see what all the fuss is about.
Toolmaker
Toolmaker
Quote:
Original post by Mr Gay
Frankly, I don't see what all the fuss is about.


I'm with you. This is just like the whole stupid "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" deal.
 
Paradigm Shifter
Paradigm Shifter
Well it's not like the Beatles were taking LSD or anything like that.

Mr. Gay already wins this thread anyway.
"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley
Paradigm Shifter
Paradigm Shifter
At least people are talking about Mario rather than Halo anyway.

I always had my suspicions: the peaked cap, the moustache, the dungarees.
"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley
taby
taby
Quote:
Original post by Paradigm Shifter


Ha ha, just saw a discussion of this on the web, the sparkles in the corner of the letters spell out UR MR GAY. I'm amazed people notice stuff like this. Do you think the logo will be changed because of this. I think it is funny in a childish sort of way anyway.


My paranoiac-critical skills are waning. Where does it say this??
Paradigm Shifter
Paradigm Shifter
Some of the letters have sparkly highlights in the corners of them and some don't in the logo. The letters with sparkles (in caps here)

sUpeR
MaRio
GalAxY
"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley
taby
taby
I need coffee.
baconfish
baconfish
I'm not sure I can believe that the crew at Nintendo would publish a secret message and use "UR".
Ok.
taby
taby
LOLcats has taken over. All ur cheezburger belong to us!
Iron Chef Carnage
Iron Chef Carnage
Quote:
Original post by Mr Gay
Frankly, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Yeah, this thread should have stopped right there. Awesome.
monkey8751
monkey8751
That would explain why he doesn't have any kids. Really if over 20 years I rescued the same chick and her kingdom that many times I'm pretty sure I would have gotten her pregnant at some point.
necreia
necreia
Quote:
Original post by Mr Gay
Frankly, I don't see what all the fuss is about.


Well played sir... well played.

/tiphat
Promit
Promit
Quote:
Original post by Toolmaker
Quote:
Original post by Mr Gay
Frankly, I don't see what all the fuss is about.


I'm with you. This is just like the whole stupid "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" deal.
Eh? The song is quite obviously about LSD...
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Paradigm Shifter
Paradigm Shifter
Quote:
Original post by monkey8751
That would explain why he doesn't have any kids. Really if over 20 years I rescued the same chick and her kingdom that many times I'm pretty sure I would have gotten her pregnant at some point.


Maybe he has a problem with his plumbing.
"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley
xycsoscyx
xycsoscyx
Quote:
Original post by Promit
Quote:
Original post by Toolmaker
Quote:
Original post by Mr Gay
Frankly, I don't see what all the fuss is about.


I'm with you. This is just like the whole stupid "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" deal.
Eh? The song is quite obviously about LSD...


Lennon (the writer), stated that the song was actually inspired by a drawing that his son had made. It pictured his classmate, Lucy, in the sky with diamonds. The Beatles stated that they didn't even notice that the words spelled out LSD until someone else pointed it out to them.

As for Mario Galaxy, lol, really, even it's just a coincidence, it's still funny. :) Are the sparkles random, though, do they fade in and out (from letter to letter), or are just those letters always sparkely?

EDIT: Made some corrections after I looked it up again.
Paradigm Shifter
Paradigm Shifter
I think the logo is the one from the box cover so no animating gubbins there.

It was John Lennon who made the painting claim. Paul McCartney publicly admitted (to an interviewer) that he had taken LSD though. It's such a song about acid.

Paul's LSD admission interview
"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley
xycsoscyx
xycsoscyx
It's true that they admitted to taking acid at the time, but Lennon (who actually wrote the song) stated that they really didn't notice (initially) that the song spelling out LSD. It was primarily inspired by his sons drawing and that he wanted to make a kind of sung poetry. They do also admit that it does end up describing and acid trip, it doesn't seem to be the intention (they've stated on record that some of their other songs ARE about drugs, it'd be odd for them to lie about this one). Ultimately, the world may never really know.

Back to the game, I assume it's used in game, probably the opening logo before you select a new or save game? You know how those programmers get when they're bored and waiting for code to compile. :D
d000hg
d000hg
Quote:
Original post by xycsoscyxYou know how those programmers get when they're bored and waiting for code to compile. :D
They let the programmers edit the artwork? What a scary thought.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.