Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

MacBook vs MacBook Pro?

Started by Rixter Feb 27, 2008 at 1:34 PM 8 replies 2.1k views
Original Post
Rixter
Rixter
Hey Mac fans, So my mom is actually looking to get a new computer, and she believes a laptop would suit her best. So she was in town a few weeks ago and we went around laptop shopping to see what she thought (she's not totally computer illiterate, but...). Anyway, after some looking around she seems to like the MacBooks best (I was also kinda pushing in this direction). So my question is what are the practical differences between the MacBook and the MacBook Pro? The Pro has a nice video card, but it's also like a 1000 bucks more. She doesn't play games really, but there is a possibility she may need to run Windows programs (not like office, which I know you can get), so what would be the performance differences when running say Vista in a window (with whatever that program is called) or simply dual booting? Can the regular MacBook handle it? The other factor I was considering is that she doesn't upgrade hardly ever, so this would be a long term investment, so is that worth upgrading to the Pro? Is the normal MacBook still a good performer? Thanks
tstrimp
tstrimp
As long as you disable aero the Macbook will run Vista just fine.
nsmadsen
nsmadsen
From your description, it sounds like the MacBook Pro would suite your mother best. Both are great machines, but the Mac Pro is more designed to be upgradable over a long period of time. In my own studio, I'm getting an Mac Pro since I run audio and need more power than what the MacBook Pro can provide.

Best of luck!

Nathan
Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios

Austin, TX
Oluseyi
Oluseyi
For her needs, the MacBook sounds ideal. The MacBook Pro would be a needless investment in horsepower she doesn't need and "style" that doesn't appeal to her. You can't really uprade the MacBook Pro, so there's no upside there.
Samith
Samith
I'd go for the Macbook. The Macbook Pro is at least 900 dollars more and all you really get is a bigger screen and faster videocard, which I doubt your mom is going to care about.

And if you're worried about longevity, just remember, the Macbook Pro is going to be obsolete just as soon as the Macbook is, it'll just cost more to replace than will the Macbook.
ramearess
ramearess
I wouldn't buy a mac over a pc they tend to be more expensive and less software development companies support them.

If you don't know the difference between a Pentium 4, Pentium D or core 2 duo you probably won't need any thing more powerful than a pentium D with 1GB of ram.

To ensure some future proof ensure the machine has a core 2 duo (ideally a 2.4ghz or higher) and at least 2GB of memory (667 or 800mhz) and after having a quick look it doesn't look like you can buy a poor intel mac book.
Rixter
Rixter
Thanks for the responses guys.

Sounds like the MacBook will probably be the way to go then. I was mostly worried about the lack of a separate video card hindering the performance of regular (non-game) programs as well, as I have been less than impressed with desktop PCs with on-board stuff. But I suppose nowadays with multi-core processors and gigs of RAM that's less of an issue.
Ravuya
Ravuya
Well, the X3000 (X3100?) in the Macbook is not a great card by any means, but it should be fine for business applications and the like. Make sure to get a lot of RAM, though -- they just updated the Macbook and Macbook Pro yesterday morning and bumped the RAM ceiling and processor quality. You might be able to get a deal on the previous model (Apple has a huge "refurb/overstock" section in their online store).

Don't buy RAM from Apple, they overcharge -- just buy the RAM at some enthusiast store and you should be able to save quite a few bucks. I think the default loadout now is 2GB, though, which should be enough for any office work (for now).

I assume your mother isn't playing high-FPS shooters.

Differences between virtualization and dual-booting are relatively minimal (for most non-intensive applications); for virtualization I strongly recommend Parallels as it integrates much more nicely with the OS X desktop.
Oluseyi
Oluseyi
Quote:
Original post by ramearess
I wouldn't buy a mac over a pc they tend to be more expensive and less software development companies support them.

Define "support". Assuming you mean "publish software for," then you're incorrect: different software development companies support them. There are a large number of relatively small, Mac-only software vendors like Bare Bones and Panic who provide elegant, extremely useful applications and support.

It's a different ecosystem.
speciesUnknown
speciesUnknown
In your mums case, the extra power will mean NO real advantage. I'm sure you will be able to set up dual booting, its made pretty easy by Apple. Therefore, of the two, I would recommend the MB rather than the MBP.
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.