DeviceType.Reference? --Solved

Started by
-1 comments, last by BiGF00T 16 years, 2 months ago
Good morning, it's been a long time since I last tried to make a game but not the time has come and I'm frustrated by an exception which I don't understand. Short summary: - VS.net 2008 - DXSDK Nov2007 - ATI X850 - Catalyst 8.2 drivers I can only use the DeviceType.Reference. Everything else throws a NotAvailableException. When I run the very simple code to initialize the device, it always gives me a NotAvailableException. I can only use the reference Device but that's not normal. My graphicscard is a ATI X850 with the latest drivers installed. Even if I only try to get the device caps by using

Caps devCaps = Manager.GetDeviceCaps(0, DeviceType.Hardware);
I get the exception. It seems that DeviceType.Hardware is completely bad for my computer. dxdiag says the following: Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us It is really depressing to fail at the beginning. Maybe I should uninstall everything and reinstall. Maybe something went wrong. If no one has a better explanation then this will be my last hope. EDIT: Uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it didn't work. But I used the DirectX Caps Viewer and found out that DirectX seems to be right... My DeviceType is 2, which is a Reference device according to this code:
    public enum DeviceType
    {
        Hardware = 1,
        Reference = 2,
        Software = 3,
        NullReference = 4,
    }
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us The questions now are: 1 is that correct? 2 how can I change it? 3 what caused this? ANSWERS for those who encounter the same problem: 1. No, the card is not only supporting reference (of course) 2. use dxdiag to activate hardware acceleration 3. I don't know.. At the MS Forums, someone is suspecting the installer to be the cause of it. [Edited by - BiGF00T on February 28, 2008 5:01:06 AM]
Now get down on your hands and knees and start repeating "Open Source Good, M$ Evil", smacking your head against the pavement after each repetition. Once you have completed your training you may change your first name to GNU/, to show that you are free from the slavery of the closed source world. -Michalson

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement