Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
šŸ”’ Locked

What is this Lighting technique?

Started by Shael Apr 11, 2008 at 2:27 AM 1 replies 1.6k views
Original Post
Shael
Shael
Hi I'm trying to work out what this lighting technique is actually called.. I've heard some call if "falloff" but I want to know the technique used. Heres an example of what I mean: 1. http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/9163/flamesplayintg7.jpg 2. http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/8494/ep1citadel0000273bw.jpg That glowing light on the edges of things. Eg. you can see it on alyx' leg Cheers.
MK42
MK42
It's called rim lighting or wrap-around lighting. You can find a detailed discussion of Team Fortress 2 shading on the Valve publication web-site:

http://www.valvesoftware.com/publications.html

Also, a nice overview of lighting techniques can be found on Tom Forsyth's paper page (search for trilights):

http://home.comcast.net/~tom_forsyth/papers/papers.html


Matt Aufderheide
Matt Aufderheide
Thankx for that last link, I have never heard of this guy but his webpage has some nice stuff.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.