Requesting Help To Revise Articles

Started by
5 comments, last by Jarrod1937 15 years, 9 months ago
I have three guides in these forums that are stickied. 1.)Beginners Guide to Video Game Art - In Visual Arts 2.)A Guide and Tutorial To RAID - In Hardware 3.)General Computer Performance Guide - In Hardware However, these guides/articles were typed fast and have not been revised at all. Not to mention my mind tends to start a sentence with one type of phrasing and then completing the sentence with another. I am looking for someone to look through and revise them for me. If something is spelled incorrectly, or my particular phrasing sounds odd, to then correct it. This will help the guides flow better to the reader and possibly make it easier for them to understand the content. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you're interested pm me and i'll provide further details. Thank you
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
Advertisement
Perhaps i need to sweeten the deal? Those who help will get their name mentioned in the topics.
So, come on, you know you want to :-)
Quote:Original post by Jarrod1937
Perhaps i need to sweeten the deal? Those who help will get their name mentioned in the topics.

I'm happy to edit these in theory, but am currently fighting off a particularly evil cold virus. It's already given my brain a damned good thrashing and utterly wiped out some industrial strength medication. Currently, it is holding my nose hostage and threatening to make it keep running until it explodes.

If I can remember where I posted this reply come Monday, I'll see what I can do. Right now, I can't even remember my own name.

Regards,

(er... damn. See?)

Sean Timarco Baggaley (Est. 1971.)Warning: May contain bollocks.
Have you thought about putting them in the wiki? Maybe Superpig can figure out a way to link stickies directly to wiki pages? This solution would be best as it's just as visible as stickies are now, but encourage open collaboration.

Edit - Initial wiki import here:

http://wiki.gamedev.net/index.php/Reference_Guide_For_the_Beginner_Artist
http://wiki.gamedev.net/index.php/Tutorial_On_Normal_Mapping

currently being ported...

[Edited by - Karan Bhangui on July 26, 2008 8:59:48 PM]
Quote:Original post by stimarco
Quote:Original post by Jarrod1937

I'm happy to edit these in theory, but am currently fighting off a particularly evil cold virus. It's already given my brain a damned good thrashing and utterly wiped out some industrial strength medication. Currently, it is holding my nose hostage and threatening to make it keep running until it explodes.

If I can remember where I posted this reply come Monday, I'll see what I can do. Right now, I can't even remember my own name.

Regards,

(er... damn. See?)

Excellent, thank you for the offer.
I'll pm you with links to download .txt forms of the topics, to keep their formating. All i would need you to do is edit those files and send them back my way. Or, if you have a better method of editing them that would be fine too.

Quote:Original post by Karan Bhangui
Have you thought about putting them in the wiki? Maybe Superpig can figure out a way to link stickies directly to wiki pages? This solution would be best as it's just as visible as stickies are now, but encourage open collaboration.

Edit - Initial wiki import here:

http://wiki.gamedev.net/index.php/Reference_Guide_For_the_Beginner_Artist
http://wiki.gamedev.net/index.php/Tutorial_On_Normal_Mapping

currently being ported...

Yeah, i never thought about the wiki. That will help more people find the information. After stimarco edits the articles, i'll update whats on the wiki.

Finally done. Man, your tutorial transfer took forever lol. Nicely written though, I learned a thing or too while doing it [grin]
Quote:Original post by Karan Bhangui
Finally done. Man, your tutorial transfer took forever lol. Nicely written though, I learned a thing or too while doing it [grin]

Thank you :)
Lets hope that after some revising it will be even more helpful. I sometimes will read through parts of the guides and see where i made some crazy spelling mistake, very odd phrasing, or was just being too wordy.
Some of the material is so dense that a mistake like those mentioned above only add to the difficulty. So, i'm hoping more people will enjoy the material once those are gone.
Though, i am thinking i'll only add the visual arts guide into the wiki. The hardware related ones just seem out of place i think.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement