Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Anyone playing the remake of Final Fantasy 4?

Started by sanch3x Aug 1, 2008 at 10:30 AM 6 replies 1.2k views
Original Post
sanch3x
sanch3x
I first played FF4 on the SNES when it was known to me as Final Fantasy II. I absolutely loved it back then and I still see it as one of the better games in the series. The game has been ported a few times, though I can't say that they've milked it as much as Final Fantasy 7 (yet), but it is the first remake. I had purchased the PSX port in case I wanted to play through it since my SNES copy's battery kept wiping my saved games. In the end I never played through it since I found the loading times absolutely atrocious. So this DS version has been completely remade in 3d and it has been retranslated. It also has voice acting, in game cut scenes that use in game assets so it doesn't take you out of the game as much, tweaked fighting system (god... some of the boss fights are so freakin' hard now), and other assorted goodies like a skill system. I have to say I love the new fighting system. It's not really 'new' per se but they have made the encounters a lot more difficult so you have to use strategy and the support spells to win. Something that really bugged me about the original was that you never needed to use the support spells because they were either not needed (why use a physical|magic defense spell if they don't do that much damage in the first place) or they were just useless (spells like paralyze would just never work in the fights where you actually needed them). Anyways I finished it on my way to work this morning having clocked a little bit over 35 hours on it. Is anyone else playing it?
Terlenth
Terlenth
Not playing it... but now want it...
--Ter'Lenth
sanch3x
sanch3x
If you liked the original chances are you'd like this one. Though the models aren't next-gen in quality they do add some depth (especially with the rewritten dialog). I found myself excited to see the characters just to see how they would be modeled (I was on a media blackout until I got the game in my hands).

Apparently they've added some replay value through additional bosses (I've heard this so I'm not sure where they are).

The cool part though is the skill system. Essentially you get a skill from a character that leaves you party (like Yang's kick or Tellah's recall) and some new ones. I put 'counter' and 'draw' on Cecil so he would take all hits which made the game a lot easier on me. [smile]
sanch3x
sanch3x
I already own 3 copies of FF6. My SNES copy doesn't really work anymore so I got the PSX version (which is annoyingly slow) so I welcomed the GBA version. If they were to remake it I don't know what I would do... especially considering it's my favourite of the series. [grin]
Daaark
Daaark
Quote:
Original post by Gazillion
I already own 3 copies of FF6. My SNES copy doesn't really work anymore so I got the PSX version (which is annoyingly slow) so I welcomed the GBA version. If they were to remake it I don't know what I would do... especially considering it's my favourite of the series. [grin]
I didn't even know there was a GBA version.

I don't count the PSX version because it wasn't a 'new product' as much as it was a straight emulation of the old SNES cart. I want a proper remake.

sanch3x
sanch3x
Quote:
Original post by Daaark
I didn't even know there was a GBA version.


It's pretty much a port of the original but they did some touch ups and they retranslated all the text. I'm glad they kept the name 'esper' instead of calling them 'eidolons' like they did with FF4.
Daaark
Daaark
Quote:
Original post by Gazillion
Quote:
Original post by Daaark
I didn't even know there was a GBA version.

It's pretty much a port of the original but they did some touch ups and they retranslated all the text. I'm glad they kept the name 'esper' instead of calling them 'eidolons' like they did with FF4.
I went to IGN and checked it out. Not very impressive. I want a real remake. Not a binary dump with with some new text strings.

I would love to see a 3D version of all those places and characters. The sprites in that game just don't do the artwork justice. Especially when those guards are riding on those big magic powered mech-like things. Even the characters barely resemble the drawings in the book.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.