Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Who are you gonna call? GHOSTBUSTERS!

Started by sanch3x Sep 5, 2008 at 10:00 AM 19 replies 2.8k views
Original Post
sanch3x
sanch3x
Clicky After all the remakes that Hollywood has been crapping out it's about time they do something I've been waiting for a long time! Reitman has to direct this movie or else I'm afraid it might not be as great... Also, Bill Murray has to improvise every line [smile] I don't really understand how they're making this since Dan Akroyd has been trying to revive the franchise for quite some time. I had also read (a long time ago, sorry can't offer a source) that Bill Murray didn't want to be Peter again so it surprises me that he jumped on board. I have so many questions; like how will the video game fit in here? From what I understood the game was supposed to be the third movie since they couldn't agree on actually filming the damn thing. Your thoughts?
Promit
Promit
Eh...I'm not too hopeful, I gotta say. I mean, have you seen current day Bill Murray?
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
sanch3x
sanch3x
I have actually really enjoyed all his new stuff.

They might pull a page from the "Extreme Ghostbusters" tv show and introduce a new generation of ghostbusters using the old timers as mentors. I still think it could be hilarious. [grin]

I can dream!

(I have to agree though, he looks like slimer in that picture [lol])
Kwizatz
Kwizatz
I heard rumors on the, uh, Internets that if there was going to be a movie, it would to be all CGI, like the last TMNT one.
SiCrane
SiCrane
Didn't Dan Aykroyd say repeatedly that the new Ghost Busters game would be the third movie?
sanch3x
sanch3x
Quote:
Original post by SiCrane
Didn't Dan Aykroyd say repeatedly that the new Ghost Busters game would be the third movie?


That's basically what I mentioned above. Especially considering most of the cast is voicing the characters except for Rick Moranis and ... I forget. Maybe the game will be a link between the sequel and this new movie seeing how in the game the ghostbusters won't be that old.
stringfellow
stringfellow
akroyd wants to pass the torch to apatow and seth rogen
LessBread
LessBread
Sorry but I'm not excited. I liked the first movie, but did not like the second. And the massive hype surrounding both during the 1980's made it very easy for me - as a teenager and young adult - to dismiss the entire franchise as silly and childish and entirely commercial. I don't mean to rain on your parade but that's my two cents. Carry on.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Funkymunky
Funkymunky
i sure hope they get Bobby Brown to make another theme song for them
noisecrime
noisecrime
Quote:
Original post by LessBread - completely taken out of context ;)
the entire franchise as silly and childish and entirely commercial.


I'm failing to see the downside in that ;)

I too loved the first movie, heck I still watch the DVD a few times a year, although generally with the director's commentary. Still looks cool to me, very funny lines/scenes and decent effects on the whole.

The second movie I thought was a travesty. When will Directors, script writers and like realize that adding a baby/child/kid is a sure way to destroy a franchise. I'm positive in many cases this is because the person concerned has just become a parent themselves and want to extol the virtue of kids. Its understandable, but all too frequently in my opinion results in a horrible film. Of course the 2nd Ghostbusters movie had many more flaws than just that though.

As to the game, I was initially stoked as I'd recently seen some demo footage of an unknown game by ZootFly, that whilst it replaced ghosts with mechanical monsters, appeared to invoke similar feelings and appeal that Ghostbusters had.
"> Zootfly trailer 1
,
"> Zootfly trailer 2
,
"> Zootfly trailer 3
. I was even under the impression at one point that this might have been the engine the game was based on, but doubt thats true now. Then I saw the game play footage from the new game, pretty but completely generic FPS, wrap in the Ghostbusters IP. To be honest it looked little better than most film to game conversions.

At this point I believe that T2ON (Tron 2) is going to be a far better bet that Ghostbusters 3, just on the strength of the recent promo video, where they appear to have nailed so many things that could easily have made it go down the travesty route.
LessBread
LessBread
Quote:
Original post by noisecrime
Quote:
Original post by LessBread - completely taken out of context ;)
the entire franchise as silly and childish and entirely commercial.


I'm failing to see the downside in that ;)


Imagine being 17 and everywhere you turn 7 year old kids are screaming for Ghostbusters...

Quote:
Original post by noisecrime
At this point I believe that T2ON (Tron 2) is going to be a far better bet that Ghostbusters 3, just on the strength of the recent promo video, where they appear to have nailed so many things that could easily have made it go down the travesty route.


I understand there is a Poltergeist remake in the works as well.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Benjamin Heath
Benjamin Heath
I wouldn't be surprised if Ben-Hur and Casablanca are in line for remakes at this point. Or My Fair Lady, or Sound of Music, or Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

Actually, I would like to see Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, but only because the very idea of that movie is made of awesome. A bunch of red-headed brothers in a log cabin in Oregon go into town looking for love, and wind up kidnapping the girls instead and taking them back to the cabin, and then an avalanche keeps them all there for the winter... and it's a musical. I hope Chuck Norris is in it. [grin]
sanch3x
sanch3x
Quote:
Original post by LessBread
Imagine being 17 and everywhere you turn 7 year old kids are screaming for Ghostbusters...


When Ghostbusters 2 came out I was one of those 7 year old kids [grin]... so I guess you can see why I'm so gah-gah for another movie. Granted chances are it won't live up to the other two but I can certainly hope so!
Benjamin Heath
Benjamin Heath
Quote:
Original post by stringfellow
akroyd wants to pass the torch to apatow and seth rogen


Link? If he's going to pass it to anyone, that does sound like the perfect pair.
MSW
MSW
Quote:
Original post by LessBread
Imagine being 17 and everywhere you turn 7 year old kids are screaming for Ghostbusters...


Well I was 14 when the original came out, and 20 by the time the sequel came out, so I can feel your pain :)

Quote:
Original post by noisecrime
At this point I believe that T2ON (Tron 2) is going to be a far better bet that Ghostbusters 3, just on the strength of the recent promo video, where they appear to have nailed so many things that could easily have made it go down the travesty route.


Good lord! A sequel to TRON!?

They already did that, was called the Matrix...Heck that TR2N trailer looks like it learned some moves from Neo even.

stringfellow
stringfellow
i believe their is a link on comingsoon.net about it
RedDrake
RedDrake
I thought this was going to be a thread about Zootfly not gaining a license for their couple of years in development title Ghostbusters and then trying to redesign the game to be a new IP called Time0 (or TimeO). Makes me wonder, how can a team working on a game with protected IP and no license get founding and I can't [grin].
But I guess that's kind of old...
Daerax
Daerax
Quote:
Original post by Benjamin Heath
I wouldn't be surprised if Ben-Hur and Casablanca are in line for remakes at this point. Or My Fair Lady, or Sound of Music, or Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

That would be awesome. Except I would replace Fiddler on the Roof for Casablanca. I dont much like casablanca.

Quote:
Actually, I would like to see Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, but only because the very idea of that movie is made of awesome. A bunch of red-headed brothers in a log cabin in Oregon go into town looking for love, and wind up kidnapping the girls instead and taking them back to the cabin, and then an avalanche keeps them all there for the winter... and it's a musical. I hope Chuck Norris is in it. [grin]


:S Erm Having Chuck Norris in it would defeat the whole premise of the movie, it would be the same as giving the characters in a Teenage horror flick some simple common sense. All he'd have to do is give the avalanche a roundhouse kick or sneeze and the avalanche would melt or blow away or something.
Benjamin Heath
Benjamin Heath
Quote:
Original post by Daerax
Quote:
Actually, I would like to see Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, but only because the very idea of that movie is made of awesome. A bunch of red-headed brothers in a log cabin in Oregon go into town looking for love, and wind up kidnapping the girls instead and taking them back to the cabin, and then an avalanche keeps them all there for the winter... and it's a musical. I hope Chuck Norris is in it. [grin]


:S Erm Having Chuck Norris in it would defeat the whole premise of the movie, it would be the same as giving the characters in a Teenage horror flick some simple common sense. All he'd have to do is give the avalanche a roundhouse kick or sneeze and the avalanche would melt or blow away or something.


[lol]

While true, if he's the one taking them all back to the cabin, why would he knock away the avalanche? Eh? How about that one mister smartypants? :P
Daerax
Daerax
Quote:
Original post by Benjamin Heath
Quote:
Original post by Daerax
Quote:
Actually, I would like to see Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, but only because the very idea of that movie is made of awesome. A bunch of red-headed brothers in a log cabin in Oregon go into town looking for love, and wind up kidnapping the girls instead and taking them back to the cabin, and then an avalanche keeps them all there for the winter... and it's a musical. I hope Chuck Norris is in it. [grin]


:S Erm Having Chuck Norris in it would defeat the whole premise of the movie, it would be the same as giving the characters in a Teenage horror flick some simple common sense. All he'd have to do is give the avalanche a roundhouse kick or sneeze and the avalanche would melt or blow away or something.


[lol]

While true, if he's the one taking them all back to the cabin, why would he knock away the avalanche? Eh? How about that one mister smartypants? :P


Good point. You've got me there.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.