Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Trusted spyware removal Websites?

Started by Glass_Knife Dec 12, 2008 at 4:27 PM 5 replies 3.5k views
Original Post
Glass_Knife
Glass_Knife
My wife got a spyware/virus on her computer. It is called "Extra Antivir 2.8" Even thought I have Mcafee, the virus still got on there. I have tried updating the virus definitions and scanning the system, but its still there. So my question is: What are trusted websites for dealing with this? I googled the name, and of course got back many websites with details for removing it by hand, and others offering programs to download, but I have never had this problem before, and I'm not about to just start randomly dowloading and installing stuff. Since I trust this forum, I was wondering if anyone has any advice. Thanks!
Sneftel
Sneftel
I've used this in the past. Not sure if it does spyware, though. For that, AdAware is the standard.
froz
froz
These are the tools I use whenever I have to clean a computer of spyware/viruses:

Spybot
http://www.spybot.com

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.org

AVG Anti-Virus
http://free.avg.com/download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition

HiJackThis
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis

Process Explorer
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Spybot and Malwarebytes (run both) will get rid of spyware/adware. AVG is a nice anti-virus that can be downloaded for free. Hijackthis and ProcessExplorer are more advanced tools that can be used to rout out more stubborn infections.

This "Extra Antivir" that you have can be removed with MalwareBytes. Instructions here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/remove-extra-antivir
curtmax_0
curtmax_0
I suggest Avast over AVG. It's much lighter and you can get home use registration keys for free (you have to request one every year but it's fast).
Glass_Knife
Glass_Knife
Quote:
Original post by froz
These are the tools I use whenever I have to clean a computer of spyware/viruses:

Spybot
http://www.spybot.com

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.org

AVG Anti-Virus
http://free.avg.com/download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition

HiJackThis
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis

Process Explorer
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Spybot and Malwarebytes (run both) will get rid of spyware/adware. AVG is a nice anti-virus that can be downloaded for free. Hijackthis and ProcessExplorer are more advanced tools that can be used to rout out more stubborn infections.

This "Extra Antivir" that you have can be removed with MalwareBytes. Instructions here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/remove-extra-antivir


Thank you so much. I was able to get rid of it with the Malwarebytes.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.