🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

IDE's used in game development

Started by
18 comments, last by sirGustav 15 years, 2 months ago
Hello, I used to be a visual studio user and I quite liked the IDE. Now my pc is running Ubuntu and I would like to know what other IDE's are used by professional game developers? After some research these seemed pretty viable options to me: Eclipse, Netbeans and Code::Blocks. I also want to know how to turn VIM into an IDE with some sort of intelli-sense, but I guess that's more of a linux question instead of a game programming one. Cheers,
Advertisement
When I was doing PS2 dev we used Codewarrior.
XB360 and PS3 dev has all been VS2005.
I hear that Wii dev uses Codewarrior as well.

In short; afaik VS is basically the dominate IDE used in professional dev. in the C++ world and given how much better it is than any of the IDEs you listed in that area that really isn't surprising.

Also, the SDKs from MS and Sony intergrate directly with the ide which makes life easier.
If you're doing Windows, or Xbox Visual Studio.
If you're doing Playstation 3, probably Visual Studio (but not necessarily).
For most other consoles, CodeWarrior.
For Mac OS X/iPhone, XCode.
For Linux...something that doesn't destroy your make/automake files, I guess?
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Check out Code::Blocks. It is open source and runs on a lot of platforms. Nice thing is it is really easy to point it to use different compilers. For instance I have a project setup on a PC running windows using the VC 9 compiler, on linux it uses gcc.

It also has a lot of settings, like eclipse for auto-formatting etc..

Quote: Original post by phantom
Also, the SDKs from MS and Sony intergrate directly with the ide which makes life easier.

That seems odd to me that Sony would write tools that plug right in to Visual Studio with MS being their competition and all.

Thanks for the replies. I can work with Visual Studio that is no problem, but I'm looking for an alternative that works on linux.

What's the 2nd best?

Quote: caseyd
Nice thing is it is really easy to point it to use different compilers. For instance I have a project setup on a PC running windows using the VC 9 compiler, on linux it uses gcc.

What caseyd said, I would really like that.

I think I just might have to download them all and see what feels most intuitive.

[Edited by - Dolf on April 5, 2009 3:32:57 AM]
You guys used CodeWarrior as an actual IDE? My work found it a little hard to work with, so at work we use Visual Studio the whole time, but have the build process set up to create the elf, and whatever else, then we use CodeWarrior, Radix, etc, to run it on the hardware. It does work fairly well, since most of the time we don't have to fight with a particular IDE version, it's just VS the whole time.
[size="2"][size=2]Mort, Duke of Sto Helit: NON TIMETIS MESSOR -- Don't Fear The Reaper
Quote: Original post by Endar
You guys used CodeWarrior as an actual IDE?

Yes, we did... so much hate for that IDE [sad]

That said, the PS3 debugger makes me want to go face stabby on people at times, as does the insanity I discovered last week around filenames on the PS3... *grumbles*

I'm quite a fan of insanity, and my company is just getting our PS3 tech up and off the ground. Is this something you can mention without making Sony want to go stabby all over you (read: break an NDA)?
[size="2"][size=2]Mort, Duke of Sto Helit: NON TIMETIS MESSOR -- Don't Fear The Reaper
Quote: Original post by stupid_programmer
Quote: Original post by phantom

That seems odd to me that Sony would write tools that plug right in to Visual Studio with MS being their competition and all.

Not really, it'd be a bit childish and odd of them not to, kinda like if Xbox 360 didn't work or wasn't tested on Sony TV's because they're competitors in a different space.

Sony care about developers making games for PS3 and will do what they can to make that easier (...more games or higher quality). A small part of that includes supplying development tools that integrate with the IDE and run on the OS that most of their [external] registered developers use. People aren't making PC or Xbox games with those tools, they're making PS3 games with them, no loss for Sony...

There is also a historical reason for the support, Sony bought SN-Systems (http://www.snsys.com). SN made development tools (notably ProDG) for many console platforms over the years, including PS1, PS2, PSP & PS3 (, N64, GameCube,...). ProDG VSI (Visual Studio Integration) existed long before Sony bought the company. The compiler and other parts of the integration are only a small part of the PS3 tool set provided by SN, the rest of the tools (target manager, debugger, profiler, etc) exist as standalone tools.

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement