Original Post
Hi, ich wrote my first Lightmap generator for some weeks. It was my first one, so it is not very efficient. I created a small texture (sizes from 2x2 to 16x16 pixels) for each triangle and optimized it by making these all sub-lightmaps unique - that is to say that I did not create a new light map when I have this one already (e.g. a complete black lighted triangle). Then I summeraized all these lightmaps to multiple big lightmaps (with 1024x1024 pixels). And I just used simple shadows (with picking-/ intersection- functions). Now I want to write a better lightmap generator using Radiosity. In "Quake III Arena" levels the lightmaps have just a size of 128x128 pixels and use ~ 10 to 20 pieces of it. My question is: what is a good and efficient method to calculate the texture area for each triangle on the lightmaps? In Quake III the lightmaps are computed for each "Quad" so multiple triangles builds on Quad. How can I learn more about lightmap generation??? Thanks for your help.

