Catmull Rom Tension?

Started by
3 comments, last by rubicondev 14 years, 3 months ago
Any ideas how I can implement some sort of "Tension" parameter in my evaluator? I'm getting positions via subdivision. My "GetPoint" routine first works out what segment I'm interested in and how long it is and gets a factor of 0-1 along that particular segment, then calls this code to get the position:

RZVector3	RZSpline::GetPointBySegmentFactor (tINT SegKnot,tF32 Factor)
{
	tINT	p0=SegKnot-1;
	tINT	p1=SegKnot;
	tINT	p2=SegKnot+1;
	tINT	p3=SegKnot+2;

if (p0<0)			p0=0;
	if (p1<0)			p1=0;
	if (p2<0)			p2=0;
	if (p3<0)			p3=0;
	if (p0>=NumKnots)	p0=NumKnots-1;
	if (p1>=NumKnots)	p1=NumKnots-1;
	if (p2>=NumKnots)	p2=NumKnots-1;
	if (p3>=NumKnots)	p3=NumKnots-1;

tF32		t1=Factor;
	tF32		t2=t1*t1;
	tF32		t3=t2*t1;

RZVector3	Pos=((Knots[p1].Pos*2)+(-Knots[p0].Pos+Knots[p2].Pos)*t1+(Knots[p0].Pos*2-Knots[p1].Pos*5+Knots[p2].Pos*4-Knots[p3].Pos)*t2+(-Knots[p0].Pos+Knots[p1].Pos*3-Knots[p2].Pos*3+Knots[p3].Pos)*t3)*0.5F;
	return Pos;
}

I want to add some sort of tension parameter to all this to affect the straightness of the lines further from the control points iyswim. I don't have an exact spec in mind, so anything that helps bunch the curviness toward the control points based on a 0-1 value will do me. I've messed around a bit but have come up with nothing that works nicely. Any suggestions gratefully recieved, thanks.
------------------------------Great Little War Game
Advertisement
How did you derive your formula ? From the degree of t I can only guess it's something like a Cubic Hermite spline.

If so, the above link actually shows how to calculate with a tension parameter (Cardinal spline). But I can't say if your calculating your tangents right.
Catmull Rom splines with Tension are called Cardinal Splines. They scale the tangents to produce tension.

Add Bias and they are called Biased Cardinal Splines.

Throw in Continuity and you have TCB splines (or Kochanek Bartels splines). They are compatible with Catmull Rom such that the defaults of TCB=0 produce the exact same curve. Then you have localized (per control point) control over all 3.
Thanks guys. I actually got my code from that same page - I remember seeing it now.

I didn't look at the other variants before now as I was under the apparently wrong impression that only the catmull-rom formula passed through the control points all the time.

I got me some reading to do!
------------------------------Great Little War Game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement