[Royalties] Professional Project - [2D RPG] - Seeking Talents

Started by
30 comments, last by Orymus 13 years, 11 months ago
Team name: Since we are assembling only for this project, there is no need for a 'name' Project name: Tentatively named 'Angel's Earth' Timeline: We're considering a realistic Alpha by mid to late summer 2010. Brief description: I'm someone with industry experience. Part of the reason why I broke into the industry is precisely this project, starting about 7 years back. It was initially started with a very small team, and people have come and gone. No one left because they didn't like where this was going. As a matter of fact, most left because they got themselves jobs in the industry and time grew thin. The game was prototyped twice, received quite positive comments. We just didn't have the time or money to keep working on it. 4 years later, development starts anew. Target aim: We have finally decided to go commercial. We already own the necessary licensing to sell through X-Box Live channels and also on PC through downloads. In order to achieve this goal, we have a specific timeline to reach a tech demo by june, some kind of alpha by september, and possibly a release somewhere in 2011. Compensation: Royalties will be applied. Programmers and Artists will receive a relatively higher compensation in that regard, due to the fact that their work is more intensive and thus requires more dedication. It is meant to stimulate their progress, and thus help lead toward better deadlines. The exact modalities of payment have not yet been decided upon. An NDA and contract will be issued after a probation period. Royalties shares will be met at a 50% rate for as long as expenses are not covered (expenses include website maintenance costs, acquisition, advertising, etc). This ensures that everyone will get some kind of payment regardless of whether the project generates profits or not. I believe this is an acceptable arrangement. Also you may note that every member that has proven him or herself worthy in terms of team spirit and dedication to the project may expect, if he or she should wish, a reference letter issued by none other than myself (for the record, I am a team coordinator and analyst for a renown software company). Main theme: The main theme behind the story is that of 'gods' and how the misinterpretation of mankind can drastically alter their purpose. Also, every major character in the game has a story that revolves around a different theme, each of which can tie in with our everyday lives. Technology: Game Technology - C# - XNA - Built-in LUA scripting Infrastructure - SNV source-control - Bugaware issue tracking system* (Pending approval) Talent needed: (1) GUI Artist - We are looking for someone that can produce quality 2d art for a graphical user interface (menus and overlays). This position would include a lot of R&D as we are still attempting to fine tune the ergonomic of our systems. (1) Scenarist - We are looking for someone with a bit of experience with storyboarding who will be in charge of generating our in-game cutscene. This person will work closely with the dialogist as well as the level designers in order to craft interesting and animated cutscenes (much akin to late snes JRPGs). Having experience with Lua is a definite plus, though, obviously, the project is also a great opportunity to learn. Team structure: Active: DESIGN/MANAGEMENT - Orymus - Game Designer / Producer - Robert O. - Writer (StoryFlow) - Lee - Writer (Narrative) - Brian - Writer (Background) - Tien - Level Designer - Andy - Level Designer - AndreiD - Level / Game Designer TECHNOLOGY - Jonathan - Technology Architect (Lead Programmer) - Cory - Programmer ART - Midnight - Lead 2d Artist (Characters/Sprites) - Richard - 2d Artist (Prototype) - Adam - 2d Spriter (Characters) - Victor - 2d Artist (Sprite/Tiles) - Justin - 2d Artist (Tiles) - Cilein - 2d Artist (Tiles) MUSIC - Robert E. - Lead Music Designer - Artimus - Music Designer SFX - Dan - Foley/SFX SUPPORT - Yanick - Website (formerly Artistic Director for Prototype 1) - Bryan - QA Retired: - Nubifier - Level Designer - Blake - 2d Artist (Sprites) - Javie - Interface/HUD designer - Caveman - Writer - Skiz - Audio - Darrell - Tools Programmer (Editor Prototype v3) Contacts: Orymus@gmail.com Previous Work by Team: Day Job: - Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands (Release: May 2010) - (Everything else is currently under NDA at Ubisoft) Team: - Angel's Earth Prototype B (XNA) - Angel's Earth Prototype A (Dark Basic) - Space Marines (collaborative work with C-man) (Game Maker) - Thorghast Nabot (OHRRPGCE: Standalone) - Magnus 13 (OHRRPGCE: Magnus Sequel Contest Entry) Feedback: If anyone is interested, please contact me through PM. For preferential reasons, do not contact me if you have no related experience I could judge from. Such experience does not necessarily need to be game related. For example, an artist could provide proof of comic book art, or anything that could prove his or her longterm determination rather than his or her skill level. The following will not be replied to: "I don't have my portfolio, I lost it during the last format of my HDD, but I'll have one up very quickly..." PS: I'm not always that harsh ;) I just know what a reality check is. [Edited by - Orymus on May 26, 2010 3:42:06 PM]
The fact you were there before they invented the wheel doesn't make you any better than the wheel nor does it entitle you to claim property over the wheel. Being there at the right time just isn't enough, you need to take part into it.

I have a blog!
Advertisement
I'm interested in helping. Let me know if I'm able to assist you.
C++: Where your friends have access to your private members
What do you need to have programmed ?
-Please rate me if you find my replies useful.
Right now, we've got someone working on the actual editor (which has an internal testing mode serving as an engine simulation).

We need someone to actually work on the engine itself, to interpret the data of the editor and react accordingly. It will mainly trigger AIs for npc placement.
We'd like to have as little hardcoded behaviors as possible, so, if we're able, having someone building us an interpretation script system for the core engine would be great.

For example, an npc in the level editor would call for 'grumpy.ai'
Then, we have an external scrip file named grumpy.ai that defines the ai in pseudocode/script (anything our level designers could quickly learn to use).

Then, these script lines would call specific functions in the engine.

Of course, otherwise, we'll settle for hardcoded AIs, but this would put a lot more work on the programmer's part in early production and along the road (whereas a script system would require a lot at first, but little later).

The fact you were there before they invented the wheel doesn't make you any better than the wheel nor does it entitle you to claim property over the wheel. Being there at the right time just isn't enough, you need to take part into it.

I have a blog!
Could you pm me your contact details? (msn preferred)
-Please rate me if you find my replies useful.
Updated Talents Needed.

I have a blog!
Thank you everyone for your interest, we've finally found artists.
Now actively looking for a tile pixel artist and a level designer.
Thanks again!

I have a blog!
Some screenshots of the current state of the game would be good to see or at least a website with them... even if it's just cubes and spheres interacting or a screenshot of the current status of the editors... or something (after 7-10 years of development). I can't even decide wheter I would like to apply or not without such, and am sure I am not the only one.

Your concern is duly noted.
I'm actually currently looking for a webdev as you might have seen in the current talents needed? We really want to put up a website. We're also about to release to the public the latest engine/editor so that people know how serious we are. The only reason why there is no link right now is because of the change in technology, but we're working extremely fast, and should have something much better than squares and circles to be showcased within the coming 2 or 3 weeks at most :)

I have a blog!
Sounds good, be sure to post an update here once those are up (at least the editors not necessarily the website itself).

Btw of course my suggestions / concerns were out of curiosity and not meant to be offensive... just to clarify my intentions if there are any questions regarding them.

Hope this turns out something good as I would be glad to contribute some of my time to this project if its good enough (worths the efforts put into it), but as for one I only have limited time due to other projects in progress as well so surely want to check if my time is not wasted which I could put into good use elsewhere.

So waiting for the update with great anticipation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement