Original Post
Hey guys, I have developed an interest in 3d "pixel" games such as ">Minecraft, Infiniminer, Fez, and ">3D dot game hero's. For the lazy, here is a screenshot of Minecraft (great game btw):
Lets say I wanted to create a world similar to the one above. If the world is 256x256x128 (length x height x height) cubes/voxels that means I have 8,388,608 cubes to worry about. Clearly I wont be able to get away with drawing all of the cubes/voxels even with instancing. Frustum culling will help a lot but even then I need to reduce the draw calls far more. Occlusion culling could be fairly expensive too if i don't use an octree like structure. How should I go about storing and drawing the world? If you guys have any advice or know of material I could read up on please let me know. Also, if anyone knows how Minecraft does it I would love to hear from you. Thanks! [Edited by - arriu on April 27, 2010 10:48:25 AM]
Lets say I wanted to create a world similar to the one above. If the world is 256x256x128 (length x height x height) cubes/voxels that means I have 8,388,608 cubes to worry about. Clearly I wont be able to get away with drawing all of the cubes/voxels even with instancing. Frustum culling will help a lot but even then I need to reduce the draw calls far more. Occlusion culling could be fairly expensive too if i don't use an octree like structure. How should I go about storing and drawing the world? If you guys have any advice or know of material I could read up on please let me know. Also, if anyone knows how Minecraft does it I would love to hear from you. Thanks! [Edited by - arriu on April 27, 2010 10:48:25 AM]





