Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

MS Office documents as container formats

Started by capn_midnight Jul 13, 2010 at 10:28 AM 11 replies 3.1k views
Original Post
capn_midnight
capn_midnight
What the hell is wrong with people that they will past screenshots and logos into a Word document before emailing it to me? JUST SEND ME THE DAMN IMAGE FILE!!!
Yann L
Yann L
We get that all the time. It's very annoying.

From what I have heard, some people got used to this practice in order to get data through overzealous corporate email filters. Some filters would randomly block certain image format extensions, but doc files always went through. More recently, I have observed a similar trend with PDF. Especially Mac-based shops tend to send you all kind of random stuff pasted into a PDF.
davepermen
davepermen


main reason is, people know how to use word (create a document, save a document. send the document per email. add something you copied somewhere else). these 4 tasks are all nontrivial for ordinary users (yes, still today). but those tasks are trivial for them in word (i know others doing it in excel.. yes) so they use it for sending printscreens.

they don't even know how to save a printscreen directly as an image file and send that over. they really don't. and even if you show them, they fall back to the ordinary word-solution. why? because they use word so much (office workers do), they can't get rid of it.
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia
My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud
benryves
benryves
Quote:
Original post by Yann L
More recently, I have observed a similar trend with PDF. Especially Mac-based shops tend to send you all kind of random stuff pasted into a PDF.
I believe this is because Mac OS X comes with a PDF printer driver and makes use of this (screenshots used to default to being saved into a PDF rather than the clipboard, at least).

When I do get screenshots of things in a PDF or PowerPoint presentation (rarely a Word document) it's because the person sending it to me has used that tool to add annotations. I guess some people may just get into the habit of always doing that.
[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]
Oluseyi
Oluseyi
Quote:
Original post by benryves
(screenshots used to default to being saved into a PDF rather than the clipboard, at least)

I don't know what it used to be like, but recent versions of Mac OS X (last 5 years or so) save screenshots as PNG files. Cmd+Shift+3 takes a full display screenshot while Cmd+Shift+4 will present you with a cursor to select a rectangular region. The images are saved to the desktop.

I think even overuse of PDF is due to the same habit as overuse of Word as a container format.
Zipster
Zipster
benryves
benryves
Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
I don't know what it used to be like, but recent versions of Mac OS X (last 5 years or so) save screenshots as PNG files.
It apparently used to be JPEG too. Marvellous. [grin]
[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]
Antheus
Antheus
The important question is: does it involve a table?
ChurchSkiz
ChurchSkiz
I actually can see why you would do this.

Some e-mail clients don't handle pasted images very well. Rather than pasting to paint, saving an image, and attaching for every SS, it's easier to go into word and paste one after another.
Lode
Lode
Quote:
Original post by Antheus
The important question is: does it involve a table?


Haha! Great, and that article also links to this.
mutex
mutex
Quote:
Original post by capn_midnight
ARGH! I just got one that was a PowerPoint slide!
I once saw a PowerPoint presentation with a single slide containing a .zip file.

zer0wolf
zer0wolf
Just yesterday I tried sending a small batch file to some QA guys at our publisher. Due to their overzealous e-mail firewall, I first tried sending it rarred, then zipped, and then finally renamed it to a txt file and told them to just rename it to a bat file. Sometimes technology is pretty aggravating.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.