I'm sorry for 9/11...

Started by
76 comments, last by SiCrane 13 years, 8 months ago
I've been following a lot of US politics and religion recently, and a lot of today's pressing issues seem to revolve around the date 9/11/2001.

I'm not a Muslim terrorist, but I would like to apologize on their behalf for the nonsense that happened on 9/11/2001.

I'm sorry. I'm just saying. The 9/11 events make me sad.

I don't know if this hasn't been brought up yet today because it's too sensitive a subject, or no one "cares" anymore, or it's just plain rude to bring it up, or whatnot. I do not mean to offend anyone.

Feel free to rant, or further apologize for the misdeeds of your fellow humans, or even delete the thread if you like.
Advertisement
Are you muslim?
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Quote:Original post by owl
Are you muslim?

No, Roman Catholic. I respect Muslims generally, if that means anything.

I am apologizing as a fellow human, not as a Muslim, or a Roman Catholic, or as any of the thousands of other categories that I could possibly be fit into (e.g., a CANADIAN!! <gasp>). :)
Quote:Original post by taby
I am apologizing as a fellow human

I don't want to be insensitive or anything, but I don't get it...
Well, if it's worth anything, I was comming home from work when I saw the towers falling in a shop's TV, and I felt like dying.

I honestly believe that the world would be a nicer place if all the muslim governments just dissapeared.

Muslim people seems to make up their lifes pretty well in the occidental/capitalist/democratic world.

We don't need those regimes.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Quote:Original post by Wan
I am apologizing as a fellow human

I don't want to be insensitive or anything, but I don't get it...

That's OK.
I am apologizing as a fellow human, not as a Muslim, or a Roman Catholic, or as any of the thousands of other categories that I could possibly be fit into
To be sincere and meaningful, an apology requires personal contrition. What you're thinking of is "sympathy".

EDIT: There's also associative shame, I suppose (and Roman Catholics do shame like none other).
The sad part is, then when it happened, there was a lot of non-surprise where I came from -- a lot of people seemed to think that, looking at history, something like this was bound to happen sooner or later. The exploitation of fear, loss of liberty and creation of terror that followed wasn't very unexpected either.

The bad thing about 9/11 is that it's a great excuse to bring up all the Islamophobia out there...

Let's also not forget that following this tragedy of thousands dead, a dangerous fanatical regime exploited fear/terror and went on to forge lies in order to kill a hundred thousand. Also lets remember the half a million the same regime starved to death during the 90's in the same country...

Yeah... both sides are guilty. So none of this 'the world would be a nicer place' crap, unless you're getting rid of all the fanatical killers. Ok?
If it makes you feel any better....apology accepted.
Quote:Original post by Hodgman
The sad part is, then when it happened, there was a lot of non-surprise where I came from -- a lot of people seemed to think that, looking at history, something like this was bound to happen sooner or later. The exploitation of fear, loss of liberty and creation of terror that followed wasn't very unexpected either.

The bad thing about 9/11 is that it's a great excuse to bring up all the Islamophobia out there...

Let's also not forget that following this tragedy of thousands dead, a dangerous fanatical regime exploited fear/terror and went on to forge lies in order to kill a hundred thousand. Also lets remember the half a million the same regime starved to death during the 90's in the same country...

Yeah... both sides are guilty. So none of this 'the world would be a nicer place' crap, unless you're getting rid of all the fanatical killers. Ok?

Yeah, it was sort of expected, the truly scary parts is what happened afterwards, Fear making us (not just in the US, but all over the world) give up our liberties, islamophobia is pushing rightwing extremists into power (Denmark got their nationalist party into government fairly recently, sweden looks like its about to get one in our upcoming election this fall) (The fact that right wing extremists are getting into the government makes the increased surveilance even more scary)

I definitly feel sorry for those who suffered directly from the attack, but the damage we ourselves caused in our fear was far worse, The terrorists are winning and we're doing their job for them :/
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement