NHL AI + Rpg Stats System Applications

Started by
4 comments, last by Orymus 13 years, 5 months ago
Hey all,
I've been delving into the advanced rpg-stats system of nhl games along with how they interact with one another during the game (Ai of the characters).

My obvious intent was to come up with something else than a sport and see if it applies well.

I've been roughly looking at a guild/medieval lord system where you could have champions, draft from cities, give them quest and see them evolve, but the problem is that, in the event of a war or battle, the casualties would be so high that it would break the flow of the game: nhl system works because of trades and training. Trade value in death is nonexistant, and the use of training when everyone is on the verge of dying would bring more frustration than anything else.

Do you guys have any what I should research in terms of environment for this system to work (aside from other sports)?
The fact you were there before they invented the wheel doesn't make you any better than the wheel nor does it entitle you to claim property over the wheel. Being there at the right time just isn't enough, you need to take part into it.

I have a blog!
Advertisement
If you want the medieval setting, you could invent some mechanic that allows your champions to survive death, like the amulets in Kohan. That will also allows you to control the death penalty by having a resource cost to resurrect a champion, so casualties are not completely meaningless.
Developer for Novus Dawn : a [s]Flash[/s] Unity Isometric Tactical RPG - Forums - Facebook - DevLog
One idea is to use genetics. If each of your heroes can have a family, then their sons or daughters will inherit their genes.

These genes will be the stats of the AI, so although the hero might get killed, with a bit of work they can "come back" as their children.

It would be a bit like a player getting injured and having to sit out a few matches in a sports game.

You could complicate it a bit more by having some of the stats as genetic, and some as trained. So when a hero gets killed, their children only have the genetic stats, and will have to be trained up.

This would give a bit more flexability for the player as they might want to change the training they gave to the hero (after all the training they had was not good enough or they wouldn't have been killed), so having a child ready for training means that they have the option to do so.

Also, it adds a bit of a risk to the player. Do they want to send in their best hero if the hero might get killed (and loose the resources they put into training them).

Another complication it could add that could be a good feature for the game is that it creates a more realistic seeming world. The players will be able to see the fortunes of their hero's families as the successful hero can increase the wealth of the family, but then when the hero falls in battle, their children will have to step up and might want to seek revenge.

You could add in values for the family so that they can have a like/dislike for certain other families. If they dislike a family they have to fight they might fight better (but more recklessly) and try to kill the member of the hated family, if they like a family they have to fight, then they might try to avoid killing the other hero.

This could start blood feudes between heros and if the oppinions of a player's heros could be used to influence the players choices (ie the player's heros will encourage them to attack heros they hate and discourage them tfrom attacking hero families they like).

You could also extend this to players as well. So a hero that like a player might be more willing to work for them for less, but if they hate them, they might not want to work for them at all, or work for a greater price.
While my initial approach was much akin to yours (I used champion and apprentices, and upon the death of a champion, its best apprentice would be chosen, obviously trained by the champion, and thus depicting the same strengths and weaknesses) I like the idea of immortality a bit better.

since I intend for this to work in PvP, it makes more sense. The problem is that casualties would be a constance in this game, and I do not want the champions to rotate too quickly as it refrains from allowing the build up of a strategy.

If I use a system where apprentices are mortals, but champions are immortals, it creates a double-layered system where I really need to choose carefully which I make immortal, etc.

"Immortal" is a generic term, and represents a subsystem where they could be injured but not killed, or only rarely killed (through the use of magical artifacts, etc)

Additionally, the idea of resurrecting the deads is kinda interesting. The game could play like leagues of undead battling one another, and as long as you have some magic left, you can raise them back, etc.

Definately interesting. Thanks!
The fact you were there before they invented the wheel doesn't make you any better than the wheel nor does it entitle you to claim property over the wheel. Being there at the right time just isn't enough, you need to take part into it.

I have a blog!
Games like Romance of the Three Kingdoms series (I guess they're on the 11th remake now but I've only ever tried the 3rd) might be examples of the sort of thing you're thinking of. In the game you play a warlord with a number of generals (as well as your heirs) at your command. When invading a nation you assign a general to command a unit which is supposed to have 1000s of soldiers. If the unit is defeated there was a chance that the general would escape, be captured (and thus potentially recruited by the enemy), or killed. Each general had a variety of stats and in some cases a general would be less suitable for war and be better off as being someone to build up the economy, build defenses or some other domestic duty.
I'm familiar with that series. Unfortunately, I feel this kind of game lacks "real-time elements".
It was my initial approach than to build it as a sim/strategy game much akin to this, but I've chosen to go for something where there is actual real-time decision-making (much like nhl game series). That might be the trickest part, but I don't want the characters' attributes to play only mathematically, but to have actual visual interactions and player-guided interactions as well, otherwise, it is JUST maths...

I'm a bit concerned about the potential exploits of a certain build vs another, but I assume the ingame "gene pool" will be so widespread it would be hard to cheat (say, you know a maxed X no matter that the Y value is can perform such a move and always win, you'd want to build a character that way, but you'll hardly ever find characters with maxed X, so its fair).

I have a blog!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement