Is it possible to by Visual Studio 2010 Premium separately

Started by
11 comments, last by GWDev 13 years, 5 months ago
I was looking to upgrade my visual studio 2008 and it looks like the structure and pricing for visual studio is completely different (and not in a good way). Now there is visual studio professional and visual studio premium. To me it look like visual studio profession is what visual studio standard was (just with the professional price tag) and visual studio premium is what visual studio professional was but with no option to buy it separately. Is there some way to by visual studio premium separately or is the only way by spending 5500 to get it with the MSDN subscription? I mean I get justify spending 5500 (+ 2200 per year) just to get the extra debugging tool I want in visual studio premium because I am not going to using all the other crap like azure, windows server os, project professional, etc...
Advertisement
What are the exact features that you feel like you need and are not met by the cheaper editions like professional or even Express (which is free)?

As I recall, The current professional is pretty much the same as the old professional, feature-wise. Premium, I think, is more about enterprise software development, the cloud, and supporting larger teams of programmers, software testers, etc.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Database development is one of the features not in express nor professional (the lowest commercial tier).

Source: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products
What about SQL Server Express?
is this for personal use?
Quote:Original post by RivieraKid
is this for personal use?
Why is this relevant?

There are two main cases that I will be using Visual Studio

1. C# scripts with Unity.

2. Web development using ASP.NET MVC.

I think professional has everything needed for #1 I just want to make sure I have everything for #2 (mainly the integrated web server built into Visual Studio for testing). I would imagine it would have that so maybe visual studio professional will work for me. I would really like those extra debugging tools but I guess that is not needed.

@d000hg: I will actually be using MySQL for a database with ASP.NET, I have used it for 5 years now and MSSQL has nothing to make me want to switch (I assume ASP.NET can connect to a MySQL database).

@RivieraKid I do have a project planned that I want to release where the core is going to be open source and maybe offer additional modules for the system at a cost (not sure about that yet tho, it may just be all open source).
If you're a student, you can get VS 2010 Pro for free.
Quote:Original post by shurcool
If you're a student, you can get VS 2010 Pro for free.

No such luck but I do own visual studio standard 2008 so I own have to pay the upgrade.
Quote:Original post by 3dmodelerguy
@d000hg: I will actually be using MySQL for a database with ASP.NET, I have used it for 5 years now and MSSQL has nothing to make me want to switch (I assume ASP.NET can connect to a MySQL database).
What makes you think I was suggesting you should switch? I was replying to the other guy.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement