Where were you when...

Started by
46 comments, last by Gaiiden 22 years, 6 months ago
I hate to dwell on this subject still but I''d like to know. Where were you when you heard the news? I ask this because it''s been said many times by many people that we shall all remember where we were and what we were doing at that time... forever. I remember I was in class, and we were on break. A girl went to the bathroom while the rest of us just wandered out. The girl came rushing back shouting that they were bombing the Twin Towers. I''m sure any of you who may have heard it like this would think "big deal, they''ve done that before, a few dead." So I went casually to check it out and got to the lounge by the bathrooms that had a TV just in time to see the first building collapse (in a replay). I said "What was that?" and a woman with tears in her eyes said "That''s the World Trade Center" and I said "What happened" and she said "It collapsed". I''m sure the rest of you had as much trouble wrapping your mind around this concept as I did. I rushed back to class to get everyone else and returned just in time to see the second building go down (live). But I thought it was a replay of the first collapse. My heart was already in my stomach - when I was told this was the second building going down it just plain dropped into my feet. I know I''m going to be telling that same story to my kids and grandkids for years to come. What story will you be telling? Drew Sikora A.K.A. Gaiiden Blade Edge Software Public Relations, Game Institute Staff Member, GDNet Read my online column! Now!!

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Advertisement
I was in my journalism class, and, I was one of the first people in my school to hear about it, so when I walked out of my class room, I asked the history proffesor if he heard abot it and he thought I was insane..

"I''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''Urden
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
I was in my car driving to work when the news broke into my music to say the first tower had been hit. Shortly after the second plane hit. When I got to work I listened to the news for a while on the radio here, until someone managed to get a TV working in time for us to watch the second tower fall, live.

-fel
~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~
I knew nothing about the attack until about 10:30. I was in gym class and the teacher told us what had happened.

Digital Radiation
I was sitting in bed watching the morning news while my S.O. was getting ready for work. I was watching CBS at the time they had a woman on the phone calling in from the other side of the towers and heard her live as she told the world that another plane had crashed into Trade Two.

I sat there in utterly stunned silence. Everyone did. I think quite literally it was the loudest 3 seconds of silence ever broadcast on television. I mean, I only watched this stuff on television from the sudden discomfort of my own bedroom and I still can''t fathom everything.

I will always wonder about the sounds, what the people on the street heard, the people on the floors at the points of entry, the people - the ones still alive anyway - in the aircraft. We can imagine what they were seeing, because we''ve all seen the crashes enough times, and been in those airframes at one time or another.

It brings me almost to tears to think about the sound, because what you see, what you touch, those are experienced only by you, but sounds are a shared experience, and I feel that I can never truly understand what happened until I hear it. I guess it''s a form of exposure therapy, but until that time, I can only imagine.. and imagine, and imagine.

----------------
-WarMage
...no matter how many bombs we drop or tangoes we bring to justice, the good people are still dead ...
I was in History class and our teacher came in and said "As you might have heard something has just happened...the world trade center has been bombed" so we turned on the TV and saw the replay (this was around 10 minutes after the second plane hit) and saw Bush's first speech. Then we turned it off, and it came right back on again when the first tower collapsed.

EDIT: The real irony of it is that the history class I was in had a foreign affairs focus.

Open mouth, insert foot

Edited by - oglman on September 21, 2001 10:01:54 PM
I was in study hall. I asked a kid there what he thought; he said he did''nt care. I punched him in the face. That''s my story.

-> www.scallion.sp00fed.net <-
-> www.scallion.sp00fed.net <-It's not spamming; it's proactive marketing.
good story Scalli0n.

I was in my boring statistical analysis class. right when i walked in a friend of mine told me. i didn''t quite believe her until i realized she wasn''t smiling or hinting that it was a joke.

Scott

Email
Website

"If you try and don''t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried."
Good job. Punching people who don''t care.

I was asleep and my mom came in my room and told me a plane crashed into the world trade center. It was like 6am my time. Thoughts of the private plane hitting the White House a few years ago came to mind and I went back to sleep. Then my dad came in and was pretty much in shock "I watched another plane hit the building." I was imagining flys hitting the building. I didn''t realize what kinds of planes were slamming into it.

Didn''t think much of it and went back to sleep. Then my friend paged me around 10. He wanted to go give blood. "why?" "Don''t you know what happened?" "Kinda..." He filled me in a bit. I got in my car and drove over. By the time I got to his house (5 minutes later) I was pretty stunned and pissed. I was listening to it on the radio on the way.

Ben

[Icarus Independent | Jump Down The Rabbithole | Tombstone: Vendetta ]
I was in the shower...my wife came in and told me..I couldn''t belive it at first, I thought for sure it must be some sort of accident, no way it was really terrorists...until I got out and saw the news..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement