Let's make a DISGUSTINGLY violent game

Started by
67 comments, last by Wavinator 21 years, 5 months ago
EDIT: This is in bad taste intentionally and may offend. Apologies, but the end goal is, I hope, noble. I just read this article and I'm really, really, really pissed. No. Let me rephrase that. I'm so *$#^! mad I can barely type!!!!! Yeah, it's politics. Yeah, it's the way the world works, and yeah I should chill out, but the way that lies seem to be standing in mass media for truth enrages me. The Avault report that the IDSA seems to be failing to stand up to Congress makes me sick. Maybe you don't care, but if you really want to design I think this should concern you. Here in California, on Monday, we had another school shooting and I'm starting to hear the axe being ground again: Our violent media, our violent culture... these violent games.... more scapegoating, yet again. So it takes me a minute to get to the point here, but it's this (and design related): How Would You Use Your Artform To Protest? Art has a long traditon of using it's power to convey ideas in order to protest. Whether you believe that games are art or not isn't important if you accept that games have the power to also communicate ideas. I believe we're being hemmed in. It's slow and deliberate. It's seemingly not serious, and certainly not life and death. Since we designers are about fun, this kind of politics may bore us. As and industry, we may be too young, too naive, or too busy trying to be hip to react. But if you knew your industry was being smeared, that government (in the USA at least) was hysterically reacting, how could you use your power as a communicator of ideas to protest? A Modest Mod Ever hear of Jonathan Swift (Gulliver's Travels)? He was a long-time advocate for freeing Ireland from the English monarchy. He got so disgusted with English politics and apathy that he penned A Modest Proposal. This ghastly work essentially advocated that for population control, preserving loyalty, and dealing with famine that the Irish should kill and eat their own children. The idea of the work was to ape dispassionate British nationbuilding policies and-- through controversy-- get the protest circulated. What if we did the same? A form of protest could be drawing attention to the facts of the Surgeon General's report in the most unorthodox way imaginable. Imagine making a completely tasteless shooter mod, full of apalling gore and violence, that uses satire to torpedo the lies spewed by moralists, Congress, and ignorant media. Summon the Spirit of Thomas Harris Think Hannibal. Be *gross*. But make it political. Here's what I'd do: A level based FPS rampage that ends in the player going to Washington and slaying Senator Joeseph Lieberman in effigy. The player's been driven mad by lies and coverups, and ala Sanitarium has to get pieces of his mind back. This can only be accomplished by level after level of satirical torture and barbarity. The level keys would be pieces of the Surgeon Generals Report. The baddies would be moralists, dishonest journalists, and member of US Congress. I'd use something like Unreal for a mod, make the weapons camp (electrocution via lie detector, microphones where the sun don't shine), try to make it funny and popular with gamers, and make folks like Lieberman outraged. With luck, it would be picked up by the media. Every screenshot they could take would have camp, Charles Mansion imitating messages about media lies. What do you think? Maybe it's not dead serious right now, but one day designers will have to stand up for themselves the same way Hollywood is now doing. -------------------- Just waiting for the mothership... Edited by - Wavinator on March 8, 2001 3:46:11 AM
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Advertisement
Hey.. your game sounds fun.

Personally, I can''t help thinking that the way forward for the games industry in this matter is pretty simple:

Write games which are violent for a *reason*.

We have years and years left of people pointing the finger at the gaming industry, and we need to be able to turn around with our products and say
"Yes it''s extremely violent, but it''s supposed to be. The violence is necessary for the story/realism - it is not gratuitous!"

If anything, while society gets used to the idea of violence in games, maybe we should be using sickening levels of violence. Not sickening in that only Washington/London will be upset, but sickening so that every blow you deal to your opponent leaves you with a tiny seed of doubt in your actions, and even a small feeling of disgust.

One thing is for certain, there''s no way back. Maybe we should accelerate the issue to better illustrate our points???

I like the idea, I have been learning the very complex UnrealScript, it would be dificult, but the best engine to do it on (high level of realism )

ANDREW RUSSELL STUDIOS
Visit Tiberia: it''s bigger, it''s badder, it''s pouyer...
As much as i like the idea of a digustingly violent game, all that´s going to happen is that no one will get the irony, the game will get a lot of bad press, be put on the index in a few countries and will generally become a very popular thing to have.

Maybe even a bestseller.

If you look at Resident Evil:Veronica some of the scenes are extremely gruesome and disgusting already, theres not really much left to do. The potential for violence, mass murder and mutilation has been pretty much realized, so "more gore" can´t be a sollution.

What might help though is increased realism. Better sound, better graphics and damage effects that can really turn your stomach. I think that would be the way to really shock people. Games like unreal or quake, even soldier of fortune are too arcade-like, too fast paced, too much like a comic to be taken seriously.

If you want to make people puke in front of the screen make realistic graphics in combination with just a few deaths, but in detail and realism to make it worth while.

In Unreal a guy dies, screams a little and then reappears. In SOF theres a lot more violence, you shoot off a guys leg, he clutches it and screams..... that´s pretty much whats possible right now.

IMHO theres no real way out of this thing. If you make a satirical violent game it will either be forgotten or misunderstood, the only way to go is violence in context, where (just like in a good film) more than one facet comes to bear. Remember the scene in Braveheart where the english lord kills his girl? Not very graphical, but it has more impact then an hour of the texas chainsaw massacre.

Whats been said so far is pretty much what i think. More violence is not the way out, but definitely better violence.
Ah all this rubbish about computer games being too violent and leading to violence. For one, I think that when a kid plays a game... he''s playing a game, not kicking some kid''s behind. He''s learning some skill with a computer; something that might come in handy in the future.

If ''society'' really wants to stop violence, have them sit WITH their kids while they play their games. Think it''s bad for your kid to play Doom, but you see he likes it? Sit down and play it with him, instead of saying ''no''.

Back to the subject of a protest game:

I would make a game that takes ALL sorts of examples of other area''s that have a form of violence in them, and that are accepted. Playing cowboy/indian, cop/robber, physical contact sports, etc.

Or maybe go back in history and show times when there were no computer games... but violence was abundant. I''d push all their silly arguments right back in their face. Moral values? I''d show the injustice of the Crusades or something like that. So that at least they won''t be able to use the religious argument (I''ve nothing against religious people, just don''t say you''re better than non-religious people, and don''t keep others from doing what they do because it involves demons and devils -another anti-Doom etc argument)

And I''d make sure to throw in some numbers of people that have died in all sorts of wars in the last few decades. Where were those high morals then? If you''re really so much against violence, how come they haven''t been able to solve it for centuries now. And how come that a new technology has to somehow take the blame?

I wouldn''t necessarily make the game gorey, I''d just make ''them'' look bad.
You either believe that within your society more individuals are good than evil, and that by protecting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible, or you believe that within your society more individuals are evil than good, and that by limiting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible.
You could have insanly high levels of violence and the most gruesome effects in the world and I think all that would happen is that the game would become a collectors item. I think this goes back to the controversial game idea. You have to be thinking on a different level. One that''s not so socially acceptable.

For the effect that "A Modest Proposal" had, I think you''d need a game possibly set in a nice quiet suburban neighbourhood complete with adults, children, and senior citizens. The AI for the NPCs in the neighbourhood would be quite simple, go for walk, goto work/school, mow the lawn, watch TV. Insert a player character armed to the teeth to go around and slaughter all the NPCs. No opposition. No police. No score counted. No timer. No unique death effects depending on where the bullet hit. Simple user interface. No fun.

And if you still want to keep the game as a collectors item after walking up to a smiling 4 year old with an ice cream cone and shooting him, well then maybe all this violence in games thing is true.

Hey now! This would be a game to remember. There is a serious problem, though. One cannot exercise such First Ammendment rights to protest those with power. That is an unwritten law. (Come to think of it, there are actually written laws to that effect. Ask Sacco & Vanzetti.)

You''ll only get away with a game this violent if you make the targets powerless. Think community activists. Or door to door solicitors of charitable donations. A game which targets George W., for instance, will bring all the forces of the Secret Service, F.B.I., state and local police, the Attorney General''s office, and the New Yakk Times to bear against you. But a game about slaughtering Jehovah''s Witnesses? Well, there wouldn''t be too many repercussions for that. (Sorry, Wav, that''s just the way it is.)

As for myself, I think that one of the best ways to use game design as an art form is to maintain high standards. When designing a game, why not look for a way to avoid violence if you wish to protest violence? Why not make games in which corrupt politicians are the enemy? Why not make a game in which people living in a Syndicratic Plutocracy are duped into believing that they live in a Representative Democracy? (Or would that be too much realism?)

~Jonathon

Jonathon[quote]"Mathematics are one of the fundamentaries of educationalizing our youths." -George W. Bush"When a nation is filled with strife, then do patriots flourish." - Lao Tzu America: Love it or leave it ... in the mess it's in. [/quote]
I know this is kind of OT, but the way I see things such as violence in music, movies, television, games, etc is that it is not directly linked to people performing violent acts themselves. However, I believe the problem is that some people do not seem to understand the difference between fantasy and reality. Violence in games & movies is romanticized greatly, and some people are not able to see that. The reason IMO, is that children are not taught by their parents as much anymore due to both parents usually working. That''s a whole different topic enitrely, but I do think that when kids commit violent acts it is related to the violence on television, music, etc. They just don''t seem to realize the real effects of their actions.

It is possible that many people may miss the point of such a statement. If I remember right, many people didn''t get the satire in A Modest Proposal, but I''m sure the people it was meant to impress did get the point.

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
What a plight we who try to make a story-based game have...writers of conventional media have words, we have but binary numbers
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Sure, make it. It will accomplish nothing.

What are you parodying? I have nothing against shooters myself, but I don''t play them because they already feel to me like the game you''re talking about. Violence showcased with no context.

I certainly don''t think such games are responsible for the mental instabilities that result in eventual deaths, but I hardly see what showing the world more of the same will accomplish. Rather, I would say the way to do it is to forget your anger (which, BTW only proves *them* right) and start focusing on showing them what ELSE games can be.

Sure, that''s the cute fuzzy solution, but hey. All media get blamed for ridiculous things in their infancy. It''ll be over soon enough.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
quote:Original post by Landfish
All media get blamed for ridiculous things in their infancy. It''ll be over soon enough.

More established media still get blamed such as music, movies, television shows, ect. The thing is that everyone wants someone else to blame when they are the ones that should be blamed.

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
What a plight we who try to make a story-based game have...writers of conventional media have words, we have but binary numbers
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement