What does GDNet think about my game engine?

Started by
117 comments, last by Washu 12 years, 8 months ago
Heh. Anyone can see here that there are some members who are giving constructive criticism, and there are some others who are taking delight in making the OP feel bad; in fact if I know phantom(which I do, as a notorious jerk), that's pretty much the only reason he posted('what makes it next gen? what makes it next gen? I'll keep repeating it even though it's completely irrelevant to anything just to point out that I am working for about 1 month and a half in a so-called 'next gen engine' myself and you don't! Hurrrr!").

(Seriously, he already mentioned it twice in this thread - we get it dude!)

Pretty sad if you consider the state of the community some years ago, which was hobbyists all around the world supporting one each other(not 'wow, this is great!" meaningless comments mind you, that's not what I'm talking about).

Whatever, dudes. SteveDeFacto, don't let them keep you down man. You have what you have and the video looks decent. Keep working on it, take the advice from this thread into consideration, and I expect some even better videos in the future.
Advertisement

So...... Did Phantom and ApocPiQ run out of IRL people to berate?

Because man.... a lot of that just came across as bullying to me. I'm sure it wasn't intended as such, but you guys are moderators and I expect more from you. You can be helpful and correct while also being friendly. Or if you can't.... maybe just don't post?

MODS, I AM DISAPPOINT.

Also: Hodgeman for mod. Consistently correct, informative and friendly. All at the same time!

(random opinions of a 10 year+ member)

I said in pretty much every post that I thought the OP's work was something to be proud of, that he should continue working on it, and so on.

I'm at a loss for how to be much more "friendly" while still being honest about my opinion of the code - which, by the way, was asked for by the OP. It's not like I just showed up and started railing on some random project. He asked for opinions, I gave mine.

I'd love to hear how you would provide criticism of flawed work while being "more friendly" about it.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

[quote name='mrbastard' timestamp='1314890289' post='4856324']

Nope, I've got plenty left personally... and compared to the way I interact with some of my friends this is mild...

Because man.... a lot of that just came across as bullying to me. I'm sure it wasn't intended as such, but you guys are moderators and I expect more from you. You can be helpful and correct while also being friendly. [/quote]

Yes, you can... but then again the OP can also take the feedback with a little more grace then effectively going "lalalalala you are wrong... I can't heard you" to very sound feedback from someone who has much more experiance.

I can't speak for ApocPiQ but I adjust my tone depending on the poster's replies and his replies weren't "friendly" thus I adjust mine accordingly removing the "friendly" element and instead going for direct to the point statements with no emotional tone behind them at all.

Given that in the past I have referred to someone directly as a 'moron' on this site trust me when I say I could have been much harsher.

Also he happens to have picked up on a pet peeve of mine; someone referring to their hardly working renderer as a 'next generation engine' is... well, stupid frankly. Which is why I pushed on why he considered it 'next gen' and got directly to some vague thoughts about a terrain system (which I did say was a good idea) before he went all "lalalalala I can't hear you".

Frankly everyone needs to stop referring to their little pet 'engine' as 'next generation' because as someone currently working on the rendering side of one for my day job I can tell you this much; in 99.9% of cases, including this one, it certainly isn't "next generation"... most are hardly "this generation".. and I don't see why this realisation should be sugar coated tbh; self dillusion isn't going to help you progress.

(and there is always the 'report this post' buttons if you think someone has stepped out of line, or indeed the senior mods could be emailed about it seniormods[at]gamedev.net if memory serves)
[/quote]

In real life you must be a very angry person if after all of this time you still can't control yourself in an online forum... I actually know you a lot better than you know me. I've been on this site for a lot longer than my account says I have. You've always been a bully and yet every time I've seen you get rated down, the next thing I know the down rating magically disappears... Diplomatic immunity I presume?

[quote name='mrbastard' timestamp='1314890289' post='4856324']

Because man.... a lot of that just came across as bullying to me. I'm sure it wasn't intended as such, but you guys are moderators and I expect more from you. You can be helpful and correct while also being friendly. Or if you can't.... maybe just don't post?

MODS, I AM DISAPPOINT.

Also: Hodgeman for mod. Consistently correct, informative and friendly. All at the same time!

(random opinions of a 10 year+ member)

I said in pretty much every post that I thought the OP's work was something to be proud of, that he should continue working on it, and so on.

I'm at a loss for how to be much more "friendly" while still being honest about my opinion of the code - which, by the way, was asked for by the OP. It's not like I just showed up and started railing on some random project. He asked for opinions, I gave mine.

I'd love to hear how you would provide criticism of flawed work while being "more friendly" about it.

[/quote]

I don't really have a problem with anything you said though this part may have been a bit harsh: "[color=#1C2837][size=2]My point is that your ship is not just sinking, it's on fire, carrying a zombie plague, about to be struck by a comet, and populated by Justin Bieber clones."
That was supposed to be a joke, as indicated by the obviously ridiculous hyperbole ;-)

I can see how it could have come across a bit nasty, though.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

in fact if I know phantom(which I do, as a notorious jerk),

All you know of me is that I point out when you are wrong (which happens to have been often in the past, having not interacted with you in some time I couldn't tell if you this remains the case) and that I don't take anything remotely seriously on IRC and will do what amuses me there. If this makes me a 'jerk' then I'm ok with it :)

that's pretty much the only reason he posted('what makes it next gen? what makes it next gen? I'll keep repeating it even though it's completely irrelevant to anything just to point out that I am working for about 1 month and a half in a so-called 'next gen engine' myself and you don't! Hurrrr!").
[/quote]

The OP posted an engine billed as 'next generation', I wanted to know what made it next generation, thus I asked until I got an answer.

The reason I brought up what I do at work is to point out that I've got experiance in engine development and to give the OP some perspective on what goes into making an engine.

The reason I brought up what I do at work is to point out that I've got experiance in engine development...

Really? Do you have anything you have made engine-development wise to show us? Because IIRC you were laid off from your previous job, and you don't even have 2 months in CodeMasters(yeah, I follow the gossip...). What exact experience do *you* have in engine development? You have anything similar to the OP's project you can show for yourself?

In real life you must be a very angry person if after all of this time you still can't control yourself in an online forum... I actually know you a lot better than you know me. I've been on this site for a lot longer than my account says I have. You've always been a bully and yet every time I've seen you get rated down, the next thing I know the down rating magically disappears... Diplomatic immunity I presume?

Unless you have met me in real life then you don't know me at all regardless of how long you have been here :)

No, I am direct and to the point; to 'bully' someone I would have to follow them around the site constantly pointing out why they are "wrong", and frankly I have better things to do with my time upto and including sitting around doing nothing :) For example while I have seen and looked at your posts on this site have I commented? No. Have I down rated you here or in another thread I've not commented on? No.

If you consider 'pointing out someone is wrong' as bullying... well, I have no words, but you need to develop a slightly thicker skin...

Also feel free not to throw accusations around; mods to not get any form of immunity and my rating hasn't been 'adjusted' after the fact.. in fact it has dropped a few points in the last couple of days.. and due to what I can assume is some form bug I can see who has down rated me (s'up Hodgman and mrbastard in this thread alone) and guess what; I haven't down rated them back.

None of which makes your code any better or your engine any more 'next gen'.. but hey, if attacking me makes you feel better then carry on! It amuses me that I can get under your skin with such ease :)
Wow, there seems to be a decidedly childish tone going on here. If you want to succeed in any field, you should embrace criticism, especially when it comes from people who are clearly more experienced than you.

I have a friend who's an amateur playwright. He recently paid to have his play evaluated by a professional theatre group. You're getting their time for free.
I think both Phantom and ApochPiQ gave useful advice and valid criticisms. In fact, ApochPiQ in particular seemed to put a reasonable amount of time and effort into looking at the code. Both prefaced their comments with "it's a good start, but..". Honestly, I really don't know how much hand holding you need....
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

Wow, there seems to be a decidedly childish tone going on here. If you want to succeed in any field, you should embrace criticism, especially when it comes from people who are clearly more experienced than you.

I have a friend who's an amateur playwright. He recently paid to have his play evaluated by a professional theatre group. You're getting their time for free.
I think both Phantom and ApochPiQ gave useful advice and valid criticisms. In fact, ApochPiQ in particular seemed to put a reasonable amount of time and effort into looking at the code. Both prefaced their comments with "it's a good start, but..". Honestly, I really don't know how much hand holding you need....

^ This guy gets it.

Look, nobody came in here with a "LOL! THIS SUCKS!" attitude - everybody chimed in with helpful advice and legitimate questions; can't handle that? Well, don't ask for criticism then - people are providing their time for free and there is no need to be an ass about it when someone tells you that what you've done is cool, but isn't anything special and is in need of a ton of work.

Which reminds me, I ought to get back to work! Oh wait, it's midnight. Well, nighty night everyone - and children, try to behave! biggrin.gif
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe
"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar[size=2].

"

[size=2]~

[size=1]Antheus

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement