Multiverse theory

Started by
19 comments, last by Nathan2222_old 9 years, 10 months ago
Did some explorer fess up and enter those darn blackholes and take photos of those so-called other universes thereby proving there might be some truth in the big bang or the multiverse theory?

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

Advertisement

Did some explorer fess up and enter those darn blackholes and take photos of those so-called other universes thereby proving there might be some truth in the big bang or the multiverse theory?

No, but there was something I read a while back which pointed at certain aspects of the CMB as being possible imprints of where our universe 'bumped' into another one or three - although I've not heard any more about that and it's something which is hard to test/prove.

No, but there was something I read a while back which pointed at certain aspects of the CMB as being possible imprints of where our universe 'bumped' into another one or three
Riiiight, "bumped" into "another one or three" which came from?

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

"Else where".

As I recall String Theory requires that our 4D universe sits on a brane which itself sits in a higher 10 dimensional space, so the 'bump' could have come from a universe on another brane having bumped into ours... or it could have been universes which are adjacent to our own at the moment of our formation.

Welcome to higher dimensional spaces - they don't work how your brain works smile.png

The notion of 'where' breaks down pretty quickly... it's a bit like the slightly mind bending answer to the question 'where did the universe start?' because there answer is where you are, where I am, where everything is.

As I recall String Theory requires that ...

... the big bang is true.

a higher 10 dimensional space

You wouldn't be referring to the M-theory now, would you?

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

As I recall String Theory requires that ...

... the big bang is true.

Which is the generally accepted case in most quarters... 'how' and 'what was before it' tend to be the questions most hotly debated, also questions about the expansion phase still need to be answered.

a higher 10 dimensional space

You wouldn't be referring to the M-theory now, would you?

Meh, practically the same difference, it's all the same general area.
If only "chance" and "nothing" could create anything

Isn't the M-theory the same theory that supports "nothing creating something"?

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

Not sure why going into a black hole would yield any evidence of the big bang (OK, well, in fact it wouldn't yield any evidence of anything at all; that's sort of the idea of a black hole), but I'm also not really sure why you'd want more evidence that the big bang is true.

Light travels at a constant maximum speed, so the farther away you look into the universe, the older the light. If you want to see stuff from a thousand years ago, you just look at stuff roughly a thousand light years away. Similarly, if you want to see the big bang, pretty much all you have to do is look at it. It's (I think) about 40 billion light years away (rather than 14, due to the expansion of the universe over time), and it's like, totally right there. The cosmic microwave background was predicted and discovered independently, so it's really pretty compelling evidence.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

Not sure why going into a black hole would yield any evidence of the big bang (OK, well, in fact it wouldn't yield any evidence of anything at all; that's sort of the idea of a black hole), but I'm also not really sure why you'd want more evidence that the big bang is true.
You assume that it's true.

Light travels at a constant maximum speed, so the farther away you look into the universe, the older the light. If you want to see stuff from a thousand years ago, you just look at stuff roughly a thousand light years away. Similarly, if you want to see the big bang, pretty much all you have to do is look at it. It's (I think) about 40 billion light years away (rather than 14, due to the expansion of the universe over time), and it's like, totally right there. The cosmic microwave background was predicted and discovered independently, so it's really pretty compelling evidence.

I know the "light years stuff". It's not proof of the big bang.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

You assume that it's true.

I know the "light years stuff". It's not proof of the big bang.

Right, and if I say, 'there's a guy behind you with a knife" and you look behind yourself and light indistinguishable from the light that would be reflected off of a guy with a knife enters your eyes, you have no obligation to assume that there's actually a guy behind you with a knife, but I wouldn't encourage it. That's why science doesn't try to tell you what is, it just tries to create a model of what can actually be observed and then makes observations to see if they fit that model.

Everything you experience with your senses could be a trick. Everything you derive with deductive logic could be a trick too; no formal logic system can prove its own consistency (or, alternatively, an inconsistent system can also prove its own consistency, and proving the consistency of one logic system from within another doesn't help either, for obvious reasons). This "problem" is so deep that you genuinely can't prove anything, except that you can't even prove that you can't prove anything, so maybe you can prove stuff.

Insofar as scientific evidence is a thing that works at all, though, the big bang is pretty uncontroversial, and if the evidence doesn't seem sufficient to you in any practical sense, you should probably also be questioning lots of other things, like, for instance, "is the center of the earth actually made of kittens?"

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement