Business Sim Game How to simulate the Market

Started by
10 comments, last by moneal2001 8 years, 11 months ago

I am working on the design of a Game development tycoon style game, and trying to figure out how to effectively simulate consumers. The player will be competing against, and cooperating with AI controlled companies for the sale of consoles, games, and game engines. I want the market to flow similarly to the real market. An example of this is Halo for xbox, it kinda started the boom of FPS games becoming mainstream. Another example was Final Fantasy VII for RPGs.

My current Idea is creating consumer objects to represent a smaller part of the market. Each consumer would have a tech and value score for deciding which consoles to buy. It would also have a budget for each month to purchase software, and have a list of liked genres, and minimum game score. if the player or AI release a game and its above the game score and in one of the liked genres list the consumer will buy the game, if they still have room in their game budget. Multiple games with a really high game scores in the same genre being made in the same year or two can influence the liked genre list for consumers.

The market as a whole will trend from great, consumer growth at 80 to 100% all the way to bad consumer decline at 5 to 10%. I was thinking that each consumer object would represent 1000 actual consumers, with some randomization so all sales numbers aren't exactly 1000. My problem is the size of the consumer base. I mean its probably not too bad when the game begins and there are only 1 or so million and I need 1000 consumers objects. When the market grows to something like it is today with 300 million or more consumers.

My current Idea to deal with market growth would be to boost the number of actual consumers each consumer object represents when the actual base reaches certain milestones. At 10 million actual customers the objects would then represent 10000 customers, and at 20 million objects would represent 20000 customers. This would keep the max consumer object number at 1000.

Does anyone else have any ideas for representing the consumer market in a semi realistic way?

Advertisement

Maybe do things such that you track various regions and their populations. Within each population, the people fit into different age groups. Age groups tend to embrace certain sub-cultures which then tend to gravitate towards certain types of games. Since people can also have a variety of tastes, it could be as well that individuals might subscribe to more than one sub-culture so if you were to total the population in each sub-culture you get a value that's greater than the population of the region.

I don't really know how the calculations would go for handling growth and changes over time but at least this way you'd be handling a smaller set of numbers.

Hi moneal,

We cannot make long-term forecasts in the real market with any more accuracy than dart-throwing monkeys. An accurate long-term simulation would be an entirely random market with somewhat predictable seasonal changes and unpredictable recessions and booms. We can make short-term forecasts based on current momentum in the market with better accuracy than random chance, however.

Given that so many people even in the face of evidence still believe they can accurately predict the stock market, a completely random market is likely perfectly fine for your game. Trends, hits, and flops will establish themselves “naturally”.

I recommend this article on Forecasting: Myths and Reality for some more information. And since your game seems to be about economics, I highly recommend the book Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman, winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics, that goes deeply into decision making and behavioral economics, and might give you some great ideas for your game.

Cheers,

Chris

http://iopscience.iop.org/1367-2630/14/6/063018/article

The 'hit' phenomenon: a mathematical model of human dynamics interactions as a stochastic process. Akira Ishii et al 2012 New J. Phys

Maybe this sort of modelling can help?

consumer object
What for? Make a single variable, not objects. Or groups of consumers "100k RPG lovers". Typically it's done by basing it on platform like: X number of console Y users where 30% like platformers, 25% like arcade (preferences being fixed to the platform and can change only by events) and occasional events "strategies are more popular during next 3 monrths".

Overall, simplify, your game does not need precise/realistic market simulation in the first place (it's about game dev - a single industry).

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

I am planning on using a consumer object because I want it to change likes and dislikes depending on the games being made by the player and AI. Like I mentioned in my first post, if a transcendent game, like Halo, gets made by either the player or ai, it will start a boom for games within that genre. I also plan to use events like you say for somethings but not really for genre popularity.

Wait, are you going to model each customer, and calculate stats based on how they liked each product in the market on the fly? Because that sounds like it would be a lot of number crunching and data storage that really isn't needed.

Look at it from a 'market trend/desire' stand point, and grow or shrink them over time. So you have an overall desire for Product Type X, which then has market desires for various features. From that you compare the various products of Type X on the market, and calculate its market share. You can achieve a market simulation using just dozens of values, rather than millions.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

Honestly, from what I'm reading your premise seems to be that the market is largely predictable when in reality the market is largely unpredictable. The best simulation of an unpredictable distribution is a random distrubition. So your starting point should be a random distribution that you add just a tiny bit of non-randomness to (e.g., seasonal trends, highly marketed games being just a tiny bit more likely to succeed, and so on).

Like I mentioned in my first post, if a transcendent game, like Halo, gets made by either the player or ai, it will start a boom for games within that genre. I also plan to use events like you say for somethings but not really for genre popularity.

As I said before, you will inevitably get exactly these kind of trends with a random distribution. Genre popularity and game quality are not even large predictors of success. FPS can be the most beloved genre at the time, and you can make the best FPS you have ever made, and it can still sink like the Titanic on the market because World of Mariocraft was announced the same day as your game, so no one really cared about FPS #135323.

If you want an accurate simulation of the real market, start from randomness. If you want a mostly predictable market, don't try simulating the real market.

Honestly, from what I'm reading your premise seems to be that the market is largely predictable when in reality the market is largely unpredictable. The best simulation of an unpredictable distribution is a random distrubition.

Exactly.

If you want an accurate simulation of the real market, start from randomness. If you want a mostly predictable market, don't try simulating the real market.

Exactly (again) smile.png

Look at it from the perspective of a marketer, they do not have access to information about individual costumer (unless they sell heavy industrial machinery to like 10 clients worldwide), individual customer tracking is unrealistic (more detailed than real life models).

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

I think the valuable part of a model involving "customers" is representing the trends of tastes and genres, which could be more meaningful and predictable than sales.

You could have some abstract elements that can appear in a game (usually constrained by broad genres) and are liked or disliked by players.

On the production side, every game will have a feature list (planned and actual), with hard design and budget decisions. For example, are you going to sell more with a few additional levels or with an earlier release?

On the audience side, you can have stochastic models of what features are liked by different demographics and liked with some positive or negative correlation, with recent games depressing sales of new but similar games; in the middle there can be marketing and communication strategies, from changing direction because some feature has ceased to be "bleeding edge" to buying reviews in order to hype actually broken features.

For example, some groups of mutually exclusive features of FPS weapons:

• Relatively complex and flexible weapons, not immediately mastered (e.g. throwing grenades with controllable force and aim and realistic bouncing). Liked by experts who want their skills to matter.
  • Simple, "casual" weapons. Liked by stupid youngsters who want easy games.

• Several weapons in the same class, often good, bad or overspecialized (e.g 4 revolvers, one very small, one very large, one mediocre and one accurate but unreliable)
  • Obviously different roles for each weapon (e.g. by range)

• Strange and interesting "sci-fi" guns. Liked by general nerds and novelty seekers.
    • Limited use, for special occasions.
    • Common, for a more futuristic feeling
  • Faithful adaptations of real guns. Liked by gun amateurs and good if the game is meant to be realistic.
    • Different historical periods. Usually contemporary, because technology is more advanced.
      • Common weapons for private use (e.g. hunting shotguns). Liked by those real-world users, who can use something familiar.
      • Common weapons in use by armed forces, police etc. (e.g. H&K MP5 variants) Liked by a few real-world users and veterans, and also for sentimental reasons.
      • Exotic weapons (e.g. H&K G1). Liked as a cool escapist fantasy.

Other features might be relevant for many genres, for example:

• Scantily dressed, very attractive female characters (anything with people in it)
  • Or less commonly scantily dressed, very attractive male characters
  • Lens flare effects (anything with outdoors scenes)
  • Technically good rendering quality, e.g. good texture sampling and edge antialiasing (anything 3D)
  • Non-cheating AI opponents (most kinds of strategy game; in other genres fairness is easy to achieve and/or taken for granted, not a feature)

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement