Software Tool Selection Process - Improvements please

Started by
37 comments, last by frob 8 years, 5 months ago

Besides, if Jonathan Blow, Casey Muratori, and Ron Gilbert are all awful, then count me in.

i think in the case of Johnathan Blow and his new language, its a matter of he has the time and money now to do some R&D, and work on a language that better suits his personal needs and desires in a language. not exactly the same thing as "i must build this tool for Braid 2.0 development".

for me, deciding to go CScript was always a case of long term efficiency increases vs short term dev costs. in hindsight, i should have gone CScript back in 1997 or so when i first developed it. it wasn't until 2013 or so that i finally made that big move. and god! its SO much better! but its a lightweight syntax, maybe 30 keywords, the whole compiler is only about 1000 lines of code maybe. so dev costs were pretty low. and you can freely mix CScript and c++ syntax in the same file, so no porting issues with existing code bases. and i use it daily as my primary development language now. so the payoff has been good in real world terms of getting games built. Caveman 3,.0 is at 115K lines of code and counting, ought to come in at about 130K-150K lines when all's said and done.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

Advertisement

In my experience, DIY tools tend to have a high up-front cost, but the benefit you get from having a reliable, customizable, in-house set of tools five years down the road is immeasurable. Most of our third-party tools have caused us untold amounts of grief. Sure, they usually regularly get features and bugfixes, but those bugfixes aren't often for the bugs you need fixed, and the features are often far outside the scope of your needs for the tool. Even if you have the source code for it, it's going to be it's own little special snowflake that doesn't integrate with any other third-party tools in your codebase, let alone your own code. Half the time you can't update it anyway, because those updates can and will introduce bugs that can halt your entire workflow depending on the tool.

Now, whether you can afford to spend five years spending engineering effort on a tool is an entirely different story.

To actually address the question in the thread title:

This is basically what I go through, though I'd point the "Can I make this myself? No" arrow straight to the big box instead of "find another way".

Now, whether you can afford to spend five years spending engineering effort on a tool is an entirely different story.

As a solo developer, I don't really want to spend time making tools. I like making games. But it doesn't do me any good to work on a game if when I try to deploy it using the tools, it doesn't work, and I can't fix it.

This was my recent experience with Game Maker. I did a game-a-month, but it doesn't run on anything. I did something "fancy" with alpha blending, which just broke the build. As far as I can tell, there is no way to fix this. If I want to use the tool I have to stay on the path and not think outside the box. That's no fun.

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
My Website: Indie Game Programming

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/indieprogram

My Book: http://amzn.com/1305076532

If I want to use the tool I have to stay on the path and not think outside the box. That's no fun.

engines tend to only be really good at the types of games they were originally designed for. IE they're awesome for making clones of the original title. past that, you're on your own.

its possible that some engines like unity are more "general duty" these days. from what i've seen, i suspect so. but i'm not a unity user, just perused the docs once to figure out its basic capabilities.

for me its a little different. i started writing apps in 1982 or so, and games in 1989. like any good programmer back then, i had my bags of tricks - code to do common stuff. this eventually evolved into my suite of in-house libraries and tools over the years. every once in a while, i'll add new capabilities as needed, such as just recently adding skinned meshes.

i also favor general purpose libraries vs engines. my one library could be used for every type of game i've ever made. from text mode d&d to starship flight sims.

as near as i can tell, the big difference between engine vs library is where the main loop code is located. in an engine, its in the engine code, accessed via callbacks or hooks.

with libraries, its in your source code, and calls library subroutines.

that fact that engines tend to be best at the game they were originally designed for has so far prevented me fro using 3rd party engines entirely. its only recently that the capabilities and price points have approached the realm of the possible.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

The general-purpose engines like Unity or Unreal are quite good at a huge swath of games, but you are right that they are not ideal for all games.

The farther you move from an engine's core competencies the more difficult the tool will become. Unity and Unreal have great rendering tools, fairly good physics engines for single-machine development, and amazing content pipelines. There are big bodies of existing code to help with common problems, although using it tends to make your game feel more generic; there is a strong "Unity Feel" that many FPS games have picked up because they use that same common code base. Games that build their own controllers and handlers build their own feel.

Building a 3D game or 2D game with a bit of physics, collision response, levels, and menus? These engines are amazing out of the box. Unreal's 2D support is far behind Unity, so for many games one generic engine may be a better fit.

Pulling a little bit away, a pinball game where physics needs to be a bit different from standard, you're looking at much more work to get parts working.

Building server-controlled physics and competitive multiplayer and Unity is going to be a rather difficult choice, with extensive customization for network handling. Unreal is going to be a better choice since they have good support for client/server systems, yet will still need extensive server programming rather than just being client code. Again one of the generic engines is better suited than another for this area.

Like all tools, some are better at different tasks, and that's okay.

Then why are many developers out there making all their own stuff?

Lots of reasons:
1: Not Invented Here
2: Underestimation of effort in involved in creating tool. Developers are REALLY bad at this.
3: perception of "I don't need all those features, I can write a simpler/more efficient/cleaner version"
4: A combination of Bike shedding, boredom, frustration. Developer runs into difficult problem and instead of doing the hard but boring work, decides to build a new tool from the ground up to fix it. Much more fun than wading through memory dumps.

I'm not saying no one should write their own tools, but it should be the last resort, and only by an experienced team who have clearly identified the risks and reasons of writing said tool.
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

Then why are many developers out there making all their own stuff?

Lots of reasons:
1: Not Invented Here
2: Underestimation of effort in involved in creating tool. Developers are REALLY bad at this.
3: perception of "I don't need all those features, I can write a simpler/more efficient/cleaner version"
4: A combination of Bike shedding, boredom, frustration. Developer runs into difficult problem and instead of doing the hard but boring work, decides to build a new tool from the ground up to fix it. Much more fun than wading through memory dumps.

I'm not saying no one should write their own tools, but it should be the last resort, and only by an experienced team who have clearly identified the risks and reasons of writing said tool.

I can't see starting a studio and writing everything yourself, but when you are a small team of two or three, it might not be a bad idea.

But again, my "will it take too long" step prevents me from making scripting languages and audio engines.

But again, my "will it take too long" step prevents me from making scripting languages and audio engines.

Both at work and on personal projects, I tend to think in these terms:

"My time is my most valuable currency, where is the best place to invest it? Remember to count the full cost of testing and debugging and maintaining, not just initial green field construction."

Even on a personal project, spending $100 or $200 on a good tool that saves me 5 or 10 hours is worth the investment. Note that not only do I get the tool for my own use, I also get experience with yet another tool that I can add to my skill set as a bullet point when the seasonal layoffs happen.

Pointing to The Witness as an example of people writing everything in house is laughable. They've spent about 8 years (including a 5 year delay!) writing Myst. I was baffled for years as they continued to post updates on their "progress", re-writing every possible piece of technology from scratch, completely losing sight of the forest for the trees. Seriously - I think that they're smart guys, but they completely fell into the NIH trap, which is something many smart people do. If you're enjoying the challenge for its own sake, that's fine - but it's not the most efficient route to finishing your product. Make intelligent and well-reasoned build vs. buy (including $0 purchase for free tools and libraries) decisions. There are plenty of great tools and libraries out there, and lots of very smart people have recognized that, and use them.

Pointing to The Witness as an example of people writing everything in house is laughable. They've spent about 8 years (including a 5 year delay!) writing Myst. I was baffled for years as they continued to post updates on their "progress", re-writing every possible piece of technology from scratch, completely losing sight of the forest for the trees. Seriously - I think that they're smart guys, but they completely fell into the NIH trap, which is something many smart people do. If you're enjoying the challenge for its own sake, that's fine - but it's not the most efficient route to finishing your product. Make intelligent and well-reasoned build vs. buy (including $0 purchase for free tools and libraries) decisions. There are plenty of great tools and libraries out there, and lots of very smart people have recognized that, and use them.

I will rework the flowchart. Everyone seems to get distracted by the "write it yourself" step. There is nothing wrong with making your own tools, but if you spend five years making the tools, then maybe you made a bad choice.

For the witness, when he started making the game, there were no free or cheap tools available to do that, so I don't think he was wrong at all. Unreal wasn't free, and Unity wasn't an option.

"Not Invented Here" is a real thing, and smart people do fall into it, but I'm reminded of a quote from Casey Muratori: "Those who don't write their own code end up customers for those who do."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement