New Vlog Series - offering free advice, input and thoughts on life as a working composer/sound designer

Started by
61 comments, last by nsmadsen 1 year, 10 months ago

And here's episode 7!

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Advertisement

Thank you so much for this!!! Seriously, these are great videos with some really solid advice. I know I'm on a tight budget, especially now that I'm planning a move. The software I bought has cost a total of $40. It has done more than I ever thought capable thus far, but I'm looking to slowly get more samples and whatnot (looking into Splice, per your suggestion a while back!). 

I'm glad you like them. More is coming! 

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Wow! This is EXCELLENT advice!! I'm in complete agreement with nearly everything that was said on that last video. 

There's only one point I might slightly differ on, and that's the notion of debt. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing a student who's graduating Full Sail or Berklee use a couple thousand dollars of 4th year loan money to acquire their base level tool set. The reason is that $2k can be spread over a 15-20 year life of loan payments minimal, and the interest is fixed at a government rate, which is lower than any personal loan you could possibly attain. I also don't have a problem with people financing a Focusrite Scarlett or a Rode NT1 using a 12 month same as cash plan at Sweetwater because the debt of a few hundred dollars is manageable and the risk is low.

I know this video is geared toward people just starting out, but I think this rule of thumb would still apply. If a work order requires a specific tool you don't have, I wouldn't be opposed to borrowing to acquire the tools so long as a) the tool is a reasonable asset you wouldn't mind owning down the road and b) the value of the tool to your personal studio doesn't exceed the value of the project which you needed to acquire it for. 

And another thing on financing...if anyone reading this is willing to do their homework, some states have technology development grants and government subsidized stimulus options that I know for an absolute fact game developer and game audio studios qualify for. At least here in South Carolina. And they don't require you to attain a 501c3 non-profit status to apply for them. Start by checking with your municipal chamber of commerce.

This is my placeholder signature

Oh for sure! I could've been a bit more clear when I said that you might need to go out and get some things. But my main advice was to avoid going over board with purchases - especially at the start up stage. Good points!

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Episode 8 was a few days late due to craziness of freelancing and working full time in-house. This episode discusses the importance of identifying your source(s) of inspiration (be it time of day you're working, the organization of your studio, etc) and how that can help better equip you for busting through writer's block when it rears its ugly head. 

Enjoy! 

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Episode 9 is all about getting an audio job - from interviewing to doing the audio test. I hope it's useful and enjoy!

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Episode 10 details the 5 things I wish I'd put into my contracts sooner! 

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Episode 11 is up! (Sorry for the close up perspective. I just got a new gimbal and I'm still learning now to use it.) 

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Thank for putting these out Nathan. I always look forward to the next one.

Alec Weesner | Video-Game Composer

www.alecweesner.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement