Feedback On New Open Source Project In Vein Of Dwarf Fortress

Started by
1 comment, last by Wyrframe 5 years, 4 months ago

I've begun work on an open source project called Last Ditch. It is similar in scope to Dwarf Fortress, but set in a futuristic environment. I'm looking for feedback on the general approach before I establish the foundations too thoroughly to adjust course. I also welcome interested contributors and collaborators.

The repo for the project is available here: https://github.com/ecssiah/last-ditch

The Notes.md file in the repo contains an outline for the project. I've begun writing it using SDL2. The goal is to keep the graphics as minimalist as possible in order to allow the most room for logic and depth. At this point, I have the tile map and some early menu systems and ui features working. This felt like a good time to take a breather and seek out some feedback. I also want to keep the libraries and design of the game as simple as possible to encourage contributions and engagement with the project.

I originally set out to write the application using OpenGL, but found some friction due to the library being deprecated on mac. I want a cross-platform application, so I went to SDL.

The main goal of the application is to watch a community grow and survive in a hostile environment by indirect control. The user controls one particular person in the application who has the ability to lead and manage the activities of others but does not have the ability to directly control them. The approach is going to share similarities with other management simulations.

Another primary goal is to make sure the application is easily extensible and moddable, so this will entail choosing some kind of scripting system.

Advice on any aspect of the application is greatly appreciated.

Screen Shot 2018-12-23 at 4.15.27 PM.png

Advertisement

If you're looking for other inspirations, you should look up "RimWorld", and also look at "failed" Dwarf Fortress clones, like "Gnomoria".

RIP GameDev.net: launched 2 unusably-broken forum engines in as many years, and now has ceased operating as a forum at all, happy to remain naught but an advertising platform with an attached social media presense, headed by a staff who by their own admission have no idea what their userbase wants or expects.Here's to the good times; shame they exist in the past.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement