What feelings does this soundtrack make you?

Started by
8 comments, last by orangcrsh 4 years, 7 months ago

Hi guys :)

The importance of audio perception in a number of projects is probably underestimated. It's so important to hear the response of what is happening on the screen, not only with your ears, but also with your soul. What do you imagine when you listen to soundtracks without visual accompaniment? Our brain is so arranged that it always tries to supplement the missing information, as if plugging holes in the whole flow of information? As a composer, I am interested in your opinion, or rather the feeling... What do you see when you listen to this track?

Thank you all in advance!

Advertisement

Hi Evgeny,

I gladly try to answer your question. But first off, I really enjoyed the soundtrack!

The beginning is quite dark. I thought about a lost and gloomy place/environment. Exploring the place, you made an unbelievable sight: Lots of huge ruins of old buildings, probably from a past civilization. The sight of it makes you feel a bit unsure and nervous. But at the end you decide to explore further. You see lots of stuff you never have seen in your life. Objects you have no idea what they are and mean. And at the end you feel proud and overwhelmed by the discovery you made.

I also thought about a place on another planet. But at the same time, the ongoing sustained strings and thair harmonics remind me on an environment under water. Therefore, I can imagine the soundtrack also would fit very well for the discovery of the sunken Atlantis.

Cheers

Reminds me of the day before a final battle. You know that terror and carnage will take place the next day, but for right now, we all have time to think.

I could also see this being used after someone had just made a bad decision. This person is facing the consequences and is wishing back to the time before the decision.

Awesome piece; I love the string work towards the end.

Alec Weesner | Video-Game Composer

www.alecweesner.com

I feel like i'm lost at the beginning, like something bad happened or was about to happen, but close to the end, things feel like getting unraveled as I proceed, like there's hope after all.

Very beautiful piece!

Diego Penha | Hobbyist indie game dev

diguifi.itch.io

diguifi.github.io

I see an expansive horizon. (I veer towards an empty, vast planet surface, in space! Cause I love sci-fi)
A hero stands facing the horizon at the beginning. Evening sun.
Camera pans, I see an approaching army. The enemy. But they aren't rushing. They're taking marching at a steady space, and the army is huge.

The middle section pans back to the hero, and behind him is his army. The good guys. There are some who are fearful, some who look resigned. They know their chances of defeating this army isn't good. But there is a thread of hopefulness that ties them together. They are ready to fight, despite the odds. Which leads into the optimistic ascending at the end.

Rousing determination as the leader turns to face his army, with the backdrop of the enemy approaching. The time has come; the fate of this planet is to be decided. And if need be, they will die to defend it.

Hope that helps!

Aspiring indie game designer from California. 

Hi guys, it's just amazing! I did not expect such a strong and varied reactions. It even seemed to me that some of you are just experienced screenwriters! This is just great! It seems to me that with just a short soundtrack, it is enough to create a plot for a small film or a game episode. All of you guys are awesome! 

A little reflection on each of the answers, we can say that you all described something similar. It's like the core of an emotional lump described from different angles and it's incredible.

Thank you so much to all of you guys! I'm very pleased that you enjoyed my work.

Looking forward to a new visions
All the best wishes, Evgeny

Hey :)

Wow, so, I really like this peace, gave me goosebumps. Thank you so much, I always enjoy great music. It's a really strong, emotional piece.

I think, I agree with the general consensus, here. But I'll try to answer your question from different perspectives. Forgive me, I'm about to go a bit crazy here :D

From the beginning, it has a somewhat unsettling quality. And it speaks of pain, maybe due to prior losses. I also hear some readiness, forced by a certain unavoidability. Yet still, there is an underlying sacredness to it that reminds me of hope and love.

A sense of like you know, you're fighting for the greater good. You will have to face the darker forces alongside with your own fear, you'll have to do this. You don't really want to but there's no way around. And, luckily, there's also no question, if it will be worth it. The greatest cause justifies it all. It'll be a tough one and the stakes are high. But the chances aren't that bad and if you can do it, it'll be the end of all the suffering that's been upon us for all those years.

If I were to compare it, I'd say, I can hear some influences from the darker tones of Howard Shore's the lord of the rings soundtrack (especially in the quieter parts at the beginning). I also feel reminded of John Murphey's adagio in g minor, in the later part when the strings give it their all.

Musically, you pulled off some neat little tricks, here. Especially the varying voicings are really great and lead the whole thing. At some point, they even feel like modulations, almost.

Just as an idea to add something constructive, here: In the stronger string part, you might wanna try adding little flute runs to lift it up even more. I think they would fit very nicely between the strings and the supporting piano.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing! It's really great work! So, please, do keep it up! :)

Have a good one :)

It will fit right in for a sci-fi game... 

Life is short...so make it worth your while.

A fantasy MMORPG main menu

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement