First time creating Visual Novel, any advice is much appreciated!

Started by
3 comments, last by BurstOutGames 4 years ago

Hi all,

I've been been playing Visual Novels for a while, and since I have a background in media and design, I thought why not try making one myself since like most people I'm also stuck in lockdown.

I'm hoping you guys will be kind enough to give me some pointers? It's my first time, please be gentle with me!

I've attached the first image I've rendered, which I may use for the Start Menu of the game. I've pretty much already decided to use Ren'py as the engine, and as you can see from the pic I've already starting using 3D rendering software. I've also got the main story drafted up, and have a rough idea of where the storyline branches are. I think I've got myself pretty much covered when it comes to the production part of it, but of course any additional advice there would be very welcome!

What I'd really like to get you guys' advice on, is how would I go about getting/doing these:

• Marketing for the game (do I just go to online forums to promote, SEO, build a website, etc)?
  • Funding (I heard about Patreon, are there others, difference between one-time donation or monthly, etc)?
  • Not sure if this is applicable, but Copyrighting/Trademarking?
  • How to Sell the game?

Any help and advice you guys are willing to share is very much appreciated! Thanks so much, guys!

(I also take requests for images/rendering if anyone has anything specific in mind, I'm also open to working with others on their games if anyone will have me! I just want to learn to hone my skills!)

Advertisement

BurstOutGames said:
What I'd really like to get you guys' advice on, is how would I go about getting/doing these: Marketing for the game (do I just go to online forums to promote, SEO, build a website, etc)? Funding (I heard about Patreon, are there others, difference between one-time donation or monthly, etc)? Not sure if this is applicable, but Copyrighting/Trademarking? How to Sell the game?

Moving this to the Business forum. Here (the Business forum) you will find lots of discussion about these questions. You should read! Good luck.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

BurstOutGames said:
(I also take requests for images/rendering if anyone has anything specific in mind, I'm also open to working with others on their games if anyone will have me! I just want to learn to hone my skills!)

Please go to the Hobby Projects Classified forum for this sort of thing. Offers of services are not permitted in the discussion forums (like the Business forum, where you can find lots of ideas about your business questions).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@Tom Sloper Thank you for the making the change, will take note in future!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement