How much audio compression should I use

Started by
6 comments, last by a light breeze 3 years, 7 months ago

I'm not quite an audio expert, if a connoisseur could tell me how much audio compression I should use.

I use ogg format which can be a lot smaller than mp3 files.

These are the 11 levels of ogg compression. Audacity exports to 5 by default. Should I go higher? Could I go lower?

Advertisement

Depending on how much data (how many sound fonts) I want to store in my game level's asset and depending on whether the sound is music or an effect and also depending on whether I want to stream a sound or play from memory and/or mix them in-game for a given game location or state, I use these:

44.1khz, 1410kbps, stereo
or
22.05khz, 705kbps, stereo

There are many factors at play, a game type may need less compression to produce a certain effect (for example radio glitch or else). Playback speed, level of volume, clear skies, eerie moods, etc…

• Good start is think about what you want the sound for, where it's going to be played and how
  • Then when you know this, sample the sound at its best settings and test
  • Then gradually master it (degrade, decomp, etc…) and test

Make sure you reserve the rights to change this anytime ?

That's it … all the best ?

I'm not sure I understand. ?

I have no issue with 44.1khz, but ogg bitrate maxes out at 500 kbps.

Are you saying I shouldn't use ogg?

To clarify, I'm talking about the final export of my audio files to ship the game with so to not waste a lot of disk space.

Compress your ogg up to 128kbps, you'll do just fine, passed this value most humans won't be able to distinguish sound differences of higher compression except in lab tests, similar environments or if u were born of 10 fathers ?

Reason I use higher kbpses is simply because I have room for them in my assets. I have no other reason to keep them that high. That's what I meant.

Until then ?

Are you concerned with acceptable quality for a lot of audio (speech? Music? Samples?) or with minimum size for good enough audio (e.g. small games for which one hour of uncompressed CD quality music could be 50 times the size of everything else together)?

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

@LorenzoGatti Yes, a small game which uncompressed music could be 50 times the size of everything else.

Use Ogg/Opus instead of Ogg/Vorbis if you can. That way you can get significantly better quality at the same bit rate, or a significantly lower bit rate for the same audio quality.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement